Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
By the way, if needed, my clue was going to be "Complete road tax with beer after" (Do VED ale).

We'd walked up Dovedale - which was incredibly crowded. Fortunately I'd read about the car park getting full (it looked like it was) and we'd parked in an empty car park about 20 mins walk away.

Dovedale gets very busy. But there are beautiful and deserted dales in the area.

My top tip is horseshoe dale:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
OK whadda we got?

We have a funny shaped junction in an un-mountainous area. Kinda makes me think of Buckinghamshire, but there's no logical reason for that. It could be anywhere.

The leftmost of the right turns is very straight, and narrower than the rest. The grass has a manicured look. Possibly a drive up to a fancy estate?

The next right turn looks like it is a straightened version of the older road, which has left the pub and houses on the old road which is now used for parking.
on the right lines, no fancy estate except the white Merc you can see ahead of the golf. Two sporting establishments, one surrounded by the other, may account for the manicured grass

Alex321

Veteran
Could be a Torville and Dean reference to Nottingham. Work beckons, however....
Or it could be a reference to Dancing on Ice - which would mean near RAF Bovingdon.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The village of Botley, in the Chilterns, near Bovingdon strangely enough(!):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7080792,-0.5694718,3a,75y,139.6h,89.94t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s9UMJTCl_DUpV7hRPBVAZ6w!2e0!6shttps://streetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com/v1/thumbnail?panoid=9UMJTCl_DUpV7hRPBVAZ6w&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&w=203&h=100&yaw=11.149127&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656

But I wouldn't have had a hope without the steer above, so if this is deemed to be @Alex321's, I'll be quite happy. But I do have a couple ready to go.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The village is Ley Hill, but yes correct junction, In Bucks, but right on the Herts border.
Wasn't sure how many dancing on ice fans are on cyclechat, i'm not one but was aware it was now filmed up at Bovingdon. The cricket pitch and a 9 hole golf course are nestled around the fingers of the junction. I think you cross a road 7 times between leaving and returning to the clubhouse. Fortunately all fairly quiet roads.

Alex321

Veteran

No, you can have it :smile:

The village is Ley Hill, but yes correct junction, In Bucks, but right on the Herts border.
Wasn't sure how many dancing on ice fans are on cyclechat, i'm not one but was aware it was now filmed up at Bovingdon. The cricket pitch and a 9 hole golf course are nestled around the fingers of the junction. I think you cross a road 7 times between leaving and returning to the clubhouse. Fortunately all fairly quiet roads.

I'm not a Dancing on Ice fan either, but I had heard it was filmed there, not sure how I knew that though.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
No you were bang on - Ley Hill is just into Bucks
I did think it looked like chalk downland, and if that was right, more like the Chilterns than anything else. Also I'd spotted the building behind the bushes which I thought (correctly as it turned out) might be a cricket pavilion. I also know nothing about dancing on ice.

This is my next one, from 1967. Not a great deal of this remains, but there are features which should enable a match to be found. To have a chance you'll certainly need to look over and over:

Top Bottom