Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I searched "millpond" in @Alex321's manor
1634817948490.png

This is definitely one for @T4tomo.
we should throw the bone to @Dogtrousers - crack on fella

Aravis

Putrid Donut
we should throw the bone to @Dogtrousers - crack on fella
Agreed - but strictly speaking protocol requires us to wait for @Alex321's confirmation. :cuppa:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OK ...

This doesn't have much in the way of recognisable landmarks like buildings or pylons or so on, so I'll post some other pictures or make up some clues if it doesn't go quickly.
1634819506360.png

Name that road!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So the idea is that you locate a suitable stream, build a massive great dam to raise the level and then use the power of this to do the milling? Thereby the mill lies some distance below the level of a whole load of water, held back by your early Victorian dam

It strikes me as a somewhat risky strategy

Alex321

Veteran
So the idea is that you locate a suitable stream, build a massive great dam to raise the level and then use the power of this to do the milling? Thereby the mill lies some distance below the level of a whole load of water, held back by your early Victorian dam

It strikes me as a somewhat risky strategy
Mill ponds long pre-date the Victorians.

This particular one is believed to be about 200 years old, so not much before.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
OK ...

This doesn't have much in the way of recognisable landmarks like buildings or pylons or so on, so I'll post some other pictures or make up some clues if it doesn't go quickly.
View attachment 614490
Name that road!

Must be White Peak, surely? Don't immediately recognise, but Hartington to Ashbourne area at a guess.

[So probably actually Devon or Highlands...]

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
OK ...

View attachment 614490
Name that road!
The left fork onto what may or may not be a surfaced road is quite distinctive as is the little cops of trees on the hilltop, although such things are far from unique. Nice bit of dry stone walling

Alex321

Veteran
The left fork onto what may or may not be a surfaced road is quite distinctive as is the little cops of trees on the hilltop, although such things are far from unique. Nice bit of dry stone walling
Based on the style of the dry stone walls and the type of hlls, I'm thinking Yorkshire Dales.

Top Bottom