Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Like Burnham Market it could be found by Googling a description, but I didn't think you'd be that quick. Well done!
Yes, I did it by Googling "stone church wooden church duck pond surrey". It is the second result in "38 pretty duck ponds..."! :laugh:

I will post something later when I am on my laptop. (It is a bit fiddly on my phone.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I forgot to post this earlier...

Name that road!

PS Once it has been identified, I'll tell you a little story about it...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hmm a relatively steep decent into "doodah" dale.

It looks more NY Moors than Dales, but I don't recognise it.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Hmm a relatively steep decent into "doodah" dale.

It looks more NY Moors than Dales, but I don't recognise it.

Very little to go on but I'd say South Pennines, maybe West Yorks or Forest of Bowland. Doesn't strike me as NY Moors, so almost certainly will be...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Very little to go on but I'd say South Pennines, maybe West Yorks or Forest of Bowland. Doesn't strike me as NY Moors, so almost certainly will be...
Its somewhere not particularly high up, given there is house there & fields, rather than barren moorland, although that's not to say its doesn't go barren behind the camera!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Looks like there is flat country beyond the top left of the pic. So it could be looking South on the Eastern side of the Yorkshire Dales with the vale of York in the distance on the left. Or looking North on the West side of the N Yorks Moors maybe.

I fancied one of the roads coming down off Longridge Fell looking North to the Forest of Bowland. But can't find a fit. There are many possibilities. I can't get a hint from the light as to the direction o fthe sun.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It looks like every ride I do around here. The dry stone walls are typical of this area and North (but not South to the White Peak). The farmland on the hills in the distance becomes moorland as the altitude increases so they must be well over 1000ft so presumably are the "backbone" of the Pennines

It isn't immediately around here, otherwise I would recognise it. But as you get up around Slaithwaite there are loads of lanes like this one. I'd guess it wasn't a million miles from there, but I don't know exactly where

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Perhaps if @ColinJ can tell us his little story it might make a good clue?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It IS in Yorkshire, and we are not in (or looking at) the NY Moors.

Its somewhere not particularly high up, given there is house there & fields, rather than barren moorland, although that's not to say its doesn't go barren behind the camera!
It isn't super-high (270 m), but whichever way you look at it, it is always a hard effort to cycle up there.

Perhaps if @ColinJ can tell us his little story it might make a good clue?
It wouldn't be a good clue because it would almost immediately give the game away. (That is NOT a clue!) I have mentioned it a few times on the forum but I have enough posts that you won't find it without a crazy amount of searching, unless I were to give you those details!

classic33

Leg End Member
The type of sheep fence isn't local to this area, North Yorkshire they seem to alternate the side of the wall the poles are on.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The type of sheep fence isn't local to this area, North Yorkshire they seem to alternate the side of the wall the poles are on.
going well off topic now:
In my "old" bit of NYM I don't think I've seen it done alternately. We'd usually put any post and wire "additional" fence inside the wall. If you run it alternate, you'd have to leave a gap between wire & stone, to allow the wire room to cross, and thus run the risk of a wily sheep / lamb scrambling under that gap?
1635406680573.png

photo please...

OldShep

Über Member
The stone in the wall definitely isn’t NYM as confirmed. Regarding fencing the fencing shown in the quiz pic is a 'guard fence' looks like two strands of barb. Erected to deter cattle from rubbing on the top of wall and knocking stones off. @T4tomo's pic is a 'jump fence' to deter swaddles from jumpin the wall.
Putting the stobs (posts) either side or on one side is often determined by purpose, ownership and regularity of the wall.
Hope that’s of interest but no damned use to help you I know. I’d guessed they were quite low hills because of all the trees. i don’t think it’s an area I’m familiar with so that narrows it down to Westie country?

Top Bottom