Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow scot

Veteran
I thought Glencoe, but the hills are wrong. Quite like the road up Glen Lyon though. The clue is interesting. An old woman in Gaelic is “Cailleach”, and there is a small Glen off Glen Lyon with that name. It’s also the name of a few hills.
My recent guesses have all been rubbish however, so I’ll await the excellent sleuthing of others!

classic33

Leg End Member
I thought Glencoe, but the hills are wrong. Quite like the road up Glen Lyon though. The clue is interesting. An old woman in Gaelic is “Cailleach”, and there is a small Glen off Glen Lyon with that name. It’s also the name of a few hills.
My recent guesses have all been rubbish however, so I’ll await the excellent sleuthing of others!
Killer Whale?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
That reminds me. Did we ever get an explanation for "m'lard"?
I'd assumed everyone had worked that out by now, but for the benefit of everyone that hasn't:

Maybe this needs a bit of spoon-feeding. A fine mountain ahead, m'lard! Unlucky for some?

So I'm giving a clue to the name of the hill which features prominently in my picture. The obvious misspelling of "m'lord" is clearly significant. It's a bit of a jump to get that I'm referring to the (unlucky) 13th US President, Millard Fillmore, so a few posts later I gave this additional hint:

I'm still hoping someone can fill more of the detail I'm hinting at with the m'lard clue.

I don't think that was spotted, so later on I made a direct reference to US Presidents, which was picked up on.

So now it's apparent that we're looking for a spoonerism on all or part of the name Millard Fillmore. This gives you Millfore - the name of the mountain in the picture.

Not the easiest clue perhaps, but I'd already given you Minnigaff.

@slow scot is on the right lines with the current one, but Glen Lyon isn't right. It will be instantly recognisable to anyone who's been there.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Is it the Cailleach” at the foot of Glenshee? I know I know it, but just can’t place it.
No, not that one. There seem to be some variations of the Gaelic word out there, as well as anglicised versions derived from it. You may need to search in a different way.

Alex321

Veteran
I always prefer to wait for the setter's confirmation if possible. I think I'd better go ahead now, and I know how much you all appreciate my clues.

The old woman can tell you a tall one:
Sorry, I spent the day driving ng to Scotland - a horribly slow one today.

Well done. You were, of course, correct.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sorry, I spent the day driving ng to Scotland - a horribly slow one today.

Well done. You were, of course, correct.
You're in Scotland? Look out of the window ... You never know you might be on That Road.

robjh

Legendary Member
I always prefer to wait for the setter's confirmation if possible. I think I'd better go ahead now, and I know how much you all appreciate my clues.

The old woman can tell you a tall one:

View attachment 619512
Those hills remind me of my picture in post #1362 on this thread
1637967794874.png

so I am going to guess at
B8083 between Elgol and Broadford, and the hills are Beinn na Caillich, which wikipedia tells me translates as Hill of the Old Woman.
The hills look closer in the 1960s photo, but could that have been taken with a zoom lens?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Those hills remind me of my picture in post #1362 on this thread
View attachment 619547
so I am going to guess at
B8083 between Elgol and Broadford, and the hills are Beinn na Caillich, which wikipedia tells me translates as Hill of the Old Woman.
The hills look closer in the 1960s photo, but could that have been taken with a zoom lens?
Wow!

You can go further back in Street View and zoom in from there to get almost the exact view...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
First of mine that's come up twice, though someone - may have been you? - posted one in Cheshire that I had planned as my next one.

Anyway, going to do the decent thing and wait for @Aravis to confirm the location is that one, but my confidence is high :smile:
Well, I wasn't wrong in saying it would be instantly recognisable, but I hadn't expected that. It's interesting to see the detail differences which have occurred over the years. Had this one proved more difficult than expected I was going to offer this alternative view from Street View:

I think the Gospel Pass may have been used here more than once, but with very different views. Anyway, well done @robjh, over to you.

Top Bottom