Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I had to look up BICBW; I can confirm you are incorrect!

This pleasant valley can be found in Rotherham if you leave her behind.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hmm

Rotherham becomes Rotham if you leave her behind.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Rotham if you leave her out. If you leave her behind then it could be Herrotham or Rothamher, depending on which way you're going.

Am I helping?
Indeed. And if you find a pleasant valley (vale) in it it becomes Herrovaletham (or Rotvahlehamher). I think we're getting warm

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A fair comment, @robjh. I can see there are a number of ways in which "leave her behind" could be interpreted; the one I intended was "don't take her".

It might help if you step aside and look again.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The next one then. I don't think we've been out this way for a while. The picture was taken from an upstairs window.

View attachment 620711

The picture was taken from an upstairs window.
This pleasant valley can be found in Rotherham if you leave her behind.
I can see there are a number of ways in which "leave her behind" could be interpreted; the one I intended was "don't take her".
It might help if you step aside and look again.

Landing / Bedroom / Attic / Loft View / sighting from an upstairs window - that clearly isn't a literal comment

look again suggest re-look or review :wacko:

Alex321

Veteran
Right, the clues have told me where it is. Now just got to find the actual view.
He has been mixing up cryptic and literal clues :smile:

Alex321

Veteran
It's changed a bit since your photo - the wooden fence is now a hedge, but I think this is it
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.734...4!1sovIyp44eOKSldXFtzFoDOA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
1638789410519.png

Alex321

Veteran
Landing / Bedroom / Attic / Loft View / sighting from an upstairs window - that clearly isn't a literal comment

look again suggest re-look or review :wacko:
It was a literal comment I think. There is a house opposite the junction.

Upstairs window could be dormer
Step aside could be recuse

Stepaside is a village in the district of Amroth (Anagram of Rotherham leaving her behind) near Tenby in South West Wales.

But Pleasant Valley is actually the next valley over from where I have got that view, so it is possible I have the wrong junction.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Yes indeed, @Alex321. I put the bit about it being taken from an upstairs window before I'd thought of any cryptic clues to explain the difference in elevation as compared to the Street View images - normally they're the ones that are higher.

There is also a Pleasant Valley close by, and I hadn't used the name of the actual location (Summerhill) before it was solved. Quite a scattergun of clues available here.

The house was our holiday cottage in summer 1967. We had our venerable Ford Zephyr at the time; it generally failed to start when it had been wet overnight, and on this two week holiday this was almost every day. Each morning it would be rolled down the hill to Amroth and although it was occasionally touch and go it fired into life every time. Waiting at the top was almost as tense as the re-entry radio blackout on the Apollo missions, but we didn't know about those then.

I hope you all enjoyed that one. Your choice again I'm afraid Alex.

Edit: I think you've added the bit in your post about Pleasant Valley. I put that in the clue so that it would read more naturally.

Alex321

Veteran
Yes indeed, @Alex321. I put the bit about it being taken from an upstairs window before I'd thought of any cryptic clues to explain the difference in elevation as compared to the Street View images - normally they're the ones that are higher.

There is also a Pleasant Valley close by, and I hadn't used the name of the actual location (Summerhill) before it was solved. Quite a scattergun of clues available here.

The house was our holiday cottage in summer 1967. We had our venerable Ford Zephyr at the time; it generally failed to start when it had been wet overnight, and on this two week holiday this was almost every day. Each morning it would be rolled down the hill to Amroth and although it was occasionally touch and go it fired into life every time. Waiting at the top was almost as tense as the re-entry radio blackout on the Apollo missions, but we didn't know about those then.

I hope you all enjoyed that one. Your choice again I'm afraid Alex.

Edit: I think you've added the bit in your post about Pleasant Valley. I put that in the clue so that it would read more naturally.
Yes, I slightly doubted my answer because of that, so I added to the post.

As soon as you posted the step aside clue, I thought "I've driven past a village called that", and two minutes later seeing it was in Amroth, I knew I had the area :smile:

Alex321

Veteran
Ok, try this.
I've only ever ridden that road in this direction once. I quite often do t the other way, but all my recent images are too low a resolution - I'd set the Go Pro to 720 instead of 1080 by accident.

Top Bottom