Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
https://goo.gl/maps/ogMZZgMXpYMzxsSZ6

Helford Passage Beach

Obviously a flooded Devon/Cornwall valley with a ferry slipway you can just make out. Narrowed it down a fair bit. Looks a lovely spot
God one @nickyboy.
The trees, boats, fishing tackle and pontoon were chosen to indicate a sheltered tidal/coastal section of river. with a small ferry service that is clearly indicated on maps.

The ferry is a great way onto the Lizard peninsular if you're cycling from Falmouth/Truro direction, a short cut of 10 or so miles, and avoiding any need to use busier roads near Gweek. Stay east of the busy B3293 and it's a delightful network of tiny rural lanes.
One of my most tranquil holiday destinations; absolutely lovely.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Here you go.....

1638966078164.jpeg

For all you dry stone wall aficionados out there

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
pants, I was looking all round there as rode through Bradwell a few years back and it looked familiar, but missed that bit of junction

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Blimey I thought it would last longer than that

That climb out of Bradwell is one of the hardest in the Peak District, certainly as hard as Winnats Pass
I don't doubt It, I skirted around that hill!:laugh: I had already climbed Winnats & Mam Tor and did Hathersage upto Burbage bridgeafter

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Blimey I thought it would last longer than that

That climb out of Bradwell is one of the hardest in the Peak District, certainly as hard as Winnats Pass
I was pretty sure it was in that part of the Peak District somewhere. I had a holiday in Hathersage about 25 years ago and it reminded me of the scenery. I remember being buzzed by speeding quarry lorries.

I looked on my OS map for the nearest quarries to Hathersage and found the right one first guess!

I didn't go to Bradwell. I'll have to go and take a look some time. I have been thinking that I might catch a train to Edale one Saturday next year and do a one-day mini-tour of that area. Hmm, maybe a forum ride?

I'll think about my next road and return with that anon...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Here, Littgull shows that he can smile, I show how NOT to select matching tyres for a bike, and you get to show that you can... Name That Road!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was pretty sure it was in that part of the Peak District somewhere. I had a holiday in Hathersage about 25 years ago and it reminded me of the scenery. I remember being buzzed by speeding quarry lorries.

I looked on my OS map for the nearest quarries to Hathersage and found the right one first guess!

I didn't go to Bradwell. I'll have to go and take a look some time. I have been thinking that I might catch a train to Edale one Saturday next year and do a one-day mini-tour of that area. Hmm, maybe a forum ride?

I'll think about my next road and return with that anon...

Edale is beautiful, I did 2 passes on this ride, I just parked up on my way up to to see my folks in Whitby, to break up the journey, as I fancied "ticking off" Winnats. You can see a cheeky lunch stop under the "d" of Edale at the station cafe. The stretch up the A road from Hathersage to Castleton wasn't the quietest, but I was route planning a bit blind.

1638975075192.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

We had a day trip to Edale to walk up Kinder Scout and were attacked by marauding sheep! They obviously get used to scavenging food from tourists. One reared up, put its front legs on my stepdaughter's shoulders and stole her sandwich! :laugh:

I walked Winnats. That was definitely a tough climb which I'm not sure I'd fancy tackling in traffic... I know that the Old Mam Tor road was closed by landslips, but I wondered if that is still rideable on a road bike?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I walked Winnats. That was definitely a tough climb which I'm not sure I'd fancy tackling in traffic... I know that the Old Mam Tor road was closed by landslips, but I wondered if that is still rideable on a road bike?
It was quiet-ish when i did it, a midweek morning, but weekend traffic upto the caverns wouldn't be good. Most of the old road is rideable, but you would have to push / carry over a small bit of it - look on streetview - you can see most of it, plus a couple of photo's show the "slipped" bit.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
On the extreme right there's what looks like an artificial watercourse, reminiscent of some I've seen in ex-mining areas, ensuring that old workings are properly drained.

Above the right hand edge of the group of trees there's what looks like a set of rugby posts on the hillside. They've helped us before. :dry:

Top Bottom