Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
On the extreme right there's what looks like an artificial watercourse, reminiscent of some I've seen in ex-mining areas, ensuring that old workings are properly drained.

Above the right hand edge of the group of trees there's what looks like a set of rugby posts on the hillside. They've helped us before. :dry:

View attachment 621248

Indeed like there’s a reservoir down to the right

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Above the right hand edge of the group of trees there's what looks like a set of rugby posts on the hillside. They've helped us before. :dry:
I'm going to look at my original (larger) photo and see if I can spot what you are looking at. I don't imagine that there are any rugby posts there... Nope, just trees!

On the extreme right there's what looks like an artificial watercourse
Indeed like there’s a reservoir down to the right
You two have better eyesight than me - yes, a watercourse to a reservoir!

I think you will probably get it very quickly now.

Borderline, old and new?
You are supposed to give an answer to my question, not post questions for me to answer! :laugh:

Ok, we do ask questions after a suitable period of time has elapsed. E.g. - It reminds me of Shropshire? It wouldn't be on to just start going through all the counties one by one though.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm going to look at my original (larger) photo and see if I can spot what you are looking at. I don't imagine that there are any rugby posts there... Nope, just trees!

You two have better eyesight than me - yes, a watercourse to a reservoir!

I think you will probably get it very quickly now.

You are supposed to give an answer to my question, not post questions for me to answer! :laugh:

Ok, we do ask questions after a suitable period of time has elapsed. E.g. - It reminds me of Shropshire? It wouldn't be on to just start going through all the counties one by one though.
Seen the feeder, but it's those rocks on the left that seem familiar.
If correct, you're headed west.

classic33

Leg End Member
Those are one of the features that the OS map shows quite clearly.

NOT correct, but at this stage I won't tell you which way my local cycling partner Littgull and I were actually heading.
The two cans on the left didn't get brought up there by you?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I thought I might as well have another look in the Todmorden area. I reach the crest of a hill, and suddenly before me:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7...4!1sJ_gklPt9JTxzfaM4uyTP1Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I suppose I never imagined you'd take a photo in a spot like that without including at least part of the reservoir. Or did you crop it out to put us off the scent?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought I might as well have another look in the Todmorden area. I reach the crest of a hill, and suddenly before me:

View attachment 622170

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7...4!1sJ_gklPt9JTxzfaM4uyTP1Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I suppose I never imagined you'd take a photo in a spot like that without including at least part of the reservoir. Or did you crop it out to put us off the scent?
Well done. I have been away for a few days and had forgotten about this one.

This was the 3rd or 4th time that I have featured parts of that road; one of my local favourites. I have some very scenic loops which take in that road and which usually have very little traffic on.

I do crop pictures to cut out features that make them to easy to identify, but not in this case. My camera couldn't take a wide enough view from that position to include everything. I wanted to get the hillside on the left in and the road stetching out in front of us.

I did take this one of the reservoir itself. The water levels were a bit low that day...

I was cycling along that road once when a hot air balloon came dropping down towards the reservoir. I wasn't sure what was happening and stopped to watch. It was quite alarming and I thought that the pilot (?) might need rescuing. I could see the burner flaring but the balloon was still accelerating. The balloon got closer and closer before it finally slowed down, but I could see that the basket was probably going to hit the water, which it DID! The balloon started to collapse but another frantic burn got it fully inflated again and the whole lot started to rise up out of the water, with water cascading out of the basket. The balloon rose back to a great height and blew away into the distance.

I don't know whether the pilot had made a terrible miscalculation and almost killed himself, or whether he was a highly skilled adrenaline junkie who did it deliberately for kicks!

Anyway - time for you to pick out another photo from your archive! :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I just spent a while wondering why it said DANCER on the bridge :blush:
It couldn't've been longer than three minutes ⌛

The scene has had a significant makeover since I took the picture. The road has undergone a conversion, and bridge is now all black, lined out in white.

Last edited:
Top Bottom