Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Found it I think, Exton station.

F94D84C1-1F60-48CD-A31A-F9DE6D2915F8.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You were so pleased that you had to tell us twice! :okay:

I thought that it wouldn't take long - river estuary, station, cycle path PLUS my recent witterings about cycling in the Exeter area, and especially on the Exe Valley Trail.

Your turn!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Beaten to the post this time. I spent far too long looking around Arnside and Ulverston, with no luck. Then I managed to discern the first word on the yellow sign - but it was too late.:cry:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I've just noticed that you were obviously posting from a phone and that the second picture was panned to show more.

It would have been easier just to rotate the phone to landscape though? :whistle:

Ipad and the second one I’ve reversed the streetview car a bit , so you can see the estuary path.

Right time to pick out a suitable photo.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The more I look at my photos from riding the more I realise very few are suitable for this game. Unless you are very local and definitely know the roads. In line with my last photo here is another with a major and minor clue.

This is from a 4 day camping tour I did in early October.

95A22EB5-46B8-485F-B9C0-09213E2A79E2.jpeg

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I hadn't realised that Stratford-on-Avon District was so big - almost county-sized! The "on" rather than "upon" is correct, helping to distinguish the district name from the town. Having figured out where the border is on the OS map it wasn't too hard to track round and find the spot. Tysoe Road:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0...4!1sRNt84JTV9-zbVeLQE7ZvLg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's an area towards the limit of my standard range, and I've cycled several of the nearby roads but not this one. You only have to glance at the OS map to see what a lovely part of the world for cycling it is.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought Tysoe Road sounded familiar... I just checked and sure enough, I rode up that hill on the 2009 Cotswold Challenge from Meriden. After that we were sent NE along Edge Hill, and then headed down towards Kineton. I don't remember the climb but I do remember what happened on the descent...

(But had completely forgotten mentioning it on this thread last February! :whistle:)

I rode the Costwold Challenge twice. The route took us along the, er, edge of Edge Hill and then down the road that @Milkfloat's picture is looking up. We turned off to the right on the descent and went past an MoD base. The first time, I rescued an older rider who was intent on carrying on down the hill. I could tell from his positioning on the road that he was not going to turn so I sprinted down the hill to catch him before the turn and shouted "Cotswold Challenge?" He replied "Yes!" so I braked while shouting after him that he had missed the turn, turned right and waited. He eventually came back up the hill and admitted that he wasn't quite sure of that part of the route. I had it on my Garmin so he did the rest of the event with me. He was in his 70s, about 20 years older than me at the time, but he was probably slightly fitter than me. A couple of times I found myself drifting off his wheel.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think that's @Aravis 's current bike, so a recent picture, probably within A's normal riding range. Somerset levels or somewhere in the Severn flood plain?

The shadows will enable the boy scouts among you to get an orientation. I'm guessing facing North East but I was never even in the cubs.

Liberty is likely to be a clue, so we could have maybe Liberty ... Cap, Bell, Bodice, Valence, Staute of. Plus synonyms like freedom, release etc. Taking liberty could be imprisoning but I can definitely say it's not Jail Lane near Biggin Hill.

Top Bottom