Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
99% sure this is Dartmoor, but I'm helplessly rubbish at this game and am unable to find the exact road.

YES....

... the other 1% is right! :laugh:

Can you really see mountains in the distance from Dartmoor? :whistle:

PS It isn't in Scotland either! :okay:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've seen the Cumbrian Mountains from most angles and don't think it's those. Scotland has been discounted (and Dartmoor!), so I'm thinking a view of Brecon or maybe the Black Mountains. it looks like the sort of place they filmed the Yorkshire scenes for An American Werewolf in London.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've seen the Cumbrian Mountains from most angles and don't think it's those. Scotland has been discounted (and Dartmoor!), so I'm thinking a view of Brecon or maybe the Black Mountains. it looks like the sort of place they filmed the Yorkshire scenes for An American Werewolf in London.

Too dramatic for the Black Mountains I think.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Here it is, in a part of North Wales I've never been to:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8...4!1scD7MbCcfF58rTfN6F0mp5Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Snow.jpg

So the mountains are the ones behind Harlech, and a little digging reveals them as the Rhinogydd range.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Am I waiting for the go-ahead @ColinJ?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here it is, in a part of North Wales I've never been to:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8...4!1scD7MbCcfF58rTfN6F0mp5Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

View attachment 645702

So the mountains are the ones behind Harlech, and a little digging reveals them as the Rhinogydd range.

Well done. Over to you again!

I went to that area on a MTB/walking holiday with a friend of mine. We stayed at the holiday village at Bronaber. She wanted a rest day so I left her sunbathing and reading a book, while I headed off up that climb. If I had been on a road bike I would have carried on and done a full loop, but it would have been a bit much on the MTB.

[PS Sorry - fish and chips arrived while I was typing and I forgot to post!]

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thanks @ColinJ. That was quite a puzzle; it looked extremely Scottish and it was hard to imagine that it wasn't. The nearest match I could find up there was the Glen Quaich road heading towards Loch Tay, but the mountains were never the right shape. North from Bwlch-y-Groes also has the right sort of look in places.

While waiting I've almost changed my mind about what to post, but whenever I've done that it hasn't gone so well. So here is the next one; a fine spot which I don't have my own picture of, but Google has done it proud. I'm confident some of you will have ridden here:

Windy.jpg

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well done @MontyVeda, over to you.

Blissful is a good adjective, although struggling westwards into a wind might make you think differently. And there's plenty of high drama close at hand.

Pretty sure I've ridden there, but I think I can be forgiven for not recognising it immediately as it would have been over 40 years ago.
Did your first century take you that way?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Thanks @Aravis. I figured you'd follow suit and go with a Welsh road too.

This one should be easy, especially if you've been following this thread from the start for a couple of years.
I've chosen an old street view image as more recent ones were a bit too cloudy.

- name that road.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom