Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Its the road going down Bwich Esgair Gelli towards the River Towi
1597769321723.png

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Its the road going down Bwich Esgair Gelli towards the River Towi
View attachment 542304

Practically the same place as the Devil's Staircase!

I only remember pain and suffering from Llantrwyd Wells to Tregaron, not the views :tongue:

Venod

Eh up
Practically the same place as the Devil's Staircase!

I wouldn't have found it without your initial guess and @Aravis saying you were close, looks like there has been some felling if the OS map has not been updated, or some planting if it has, since the Streetview car was there, the road on the right below the plantation is a forest road.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Here is another one its a Streetview image because I don't take many photos, but I have ridden it in both directions several times.

Solocle

Über Member
OK, here's one, which, while lacking in distinguishing landscape, wasn't far from home.

Despite that, I haven't cycled here very often.
1597777665846.png

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I wouldn't have found it without your initial guess and @Aravis saying you were close, looks like there has been some felling if the OS map has not been updated, or some planting if it has, since the Streetview car was there, the road on the right below the plantation is a forest road.
If I can just rewind a little, you are of course right, @Venod.

My picture again:

And Ordnance Survey:

In the picture it looks as though the road comes up on the right before disappearing on the left to come up to the viewpoint. In fact, the "road" on the right is the track leading to Dolgoch YH, and what looks like a road on the left is a track heading northwards up the Tywi Valley. The section of road in the left foreground runs in the opposite direction to how it appears, the really steep bit of the climb being out of shot below the bottom of the picture.

I realised I've actually ridden the visible road twice, but not for a very long time. The picture is from 2014.

As you were!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
OK, here's one, which, while lacking in distinguishing landscape, wasn't far from home.

Despite that, I haven't cycled here very often.
View attachment 542336
Sorry, but I don't think that one really fits the brief... :whistle:

There should be something in the picture which would allow the location to be identified. Try and choose something not too obvious but not too obscure either (we do want to be able to identify the location without too many clues!).

Choose a nice view with an interesting bridge/church/statue/landscape/(whatever) feature.
What I had in mind when I came up with the idea for the game, was that (1) We would be able to identify something in the picture and (2) That we would be tempted to go and ride there one day. That one looks like thousands of A/B roads round the country! :laugh:

Any chance you could come up with an alternative? (Remember that you are free to use Streetview if you don't have a suitable picture handy. Just crop the picture to remove any identifying elements - see this post.)

Solocle

Über Member
Sorry, but I don't think that one really fits the brief... :whistle:

What I had in mind when I came up with the idea for the game, was that (1) We would be able to identify something in the picture and (2) That we would be tempted to go and ride there one day. That one looks like thousands of A/B roads round the country! :laugh:

Any chance you could come up with an alternative? (Remember that you are free to use Streetview if you don't have a suitable picture handy. Just crop the picture to remove any identifying elements - see this post.)
OK, same location, same direction, but the view from the overbridge.
1597784220809.png

It was quite an enjoyable ride when the road was closed!

The bus stop is a hint, too...
1597784359948.png

Enough to go on?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Wow - talk about discovering roads that we fancy going to ride one day... I was just looking at one road that I have ridden probably about 10 times and noticed a nearby road that I hadn't seen before! There are not many interesting-looking rural roads in that area that I haven't ridden, but this one looks fantastic. I'll go and check it out some time.

First, here is the view I was looking for...

Name that road!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Wow - talk about discovering roads that we fancy going to ride one day... I was just looking at one road that I have ridden probably about 10 times and noticed a nearby road that I hadn't seen before! There are not many interesting-looking rural roads in that area that I haven't ridden, but this one looks fantastic. I'll go and check it out some time.

First, here is the view I was looking for...

View attachment 542380

Name that road!

Looks a lot like the top of Scammonden dam, is it the minor road approaching the B6114?

Top Bottom