Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solocle

Über Member
Looks a lot like the top of Scammonden dam, is it the minor road approaching the B6114?
Looks like it to me...
1597832066562.png

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Wow - talk about discovering roads that we fancy going to ride one day...
The A34?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Without traffic? A lovely smooth surface, with no potholes to deal with!

Although this chap featured on road.cc definitely has me one-upped...
View attachment 542438
I've ridden it between Winchester and Oxford many times, but that would have been 1975 - 1981. At the time it seemed perfectly normal. It was quite a shock when I started cycling again in 2015, put myself on a dual carriageway and found things had changed a bit.

I used to think the Winchester by-pass was great!

figbat

Slippery scientist
I live a stone's throw from the A34 just south of Oxford. A friend of mine rides on it between two closely-located junctions but you wouldn't catch me on it on a bicycle.

Solocle

Über Member
I live a stone's throw from the A34 just south of Oxford. A friend of mine rides on it between two closely-located junctions but you wouldn't catch me on it on a bicycle.
I once did Bicester to Oxford on it... at 6 pm on a weekday. :eek:
I didn't know another way (well, other than the M40)... so enlisted Google Maps, which said that I had to ride about 1km to the Weston on the Green exit. I get there, and it recalculates, taking me back onto the A34! Rinse and repeat.

I've also done Oxford-Abingdon at 7am for a race at Dalton Barracks, after a Strava route turned out to be more MTB oriented... but, being 7am, that wasn't too bad.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Looks a lot like the top of Scammonden dam, is it the minor road approaching the B6114?
You got it - your turn!

Scammonden was a village near Huddersfield which was flooded to create Scammonden Water when a dam was built in the 1960s for the M62 to pass over. You may have seen it on the TV news in 1995 when the great Yorkshire drought led to fleets of water tankers coming along the motorway to refill the reservoir until we finally got rain.

There is a really nice lane around Scammonden Water which climbs steeply up to the B6114 at Deanhead. That is the climb in the picture that I posted. It almost killed me the first time I did it but these days I have a triple chainset on my bike so it is tough rather than deadly!

Anyway, what I discovered earlier is that there is a lane coming up from the village of Stainland right up to the M62 and through an underpass at Camp Hill. It is shown by the purple line on this map...

I can do a very nice loop taking that in and aim to do so ASAP and will report in Your Ride Today. The road on Streetview.

Ha ha!

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You got it - your turn!

Scammonden was a village near Huddersfield which was flooded to create Scammonden Water when a dam was built in the 1960s for the M62 to pass over. You may have seen it on the TV news in 1995 when the great Yorkshire drought led to fleets of water tankers coming along the motorway to refill the reservoir until we finally got rain.

There is a really nice lane around Scammonden Water which climbs steeply up to the B6114 at Deanhead. That is the climb in the picture that I posted. It almost killed me the first time I did it but these days I have a triple chainset on my bike so it is tough rather than deadly!

Anyway, what I discovered earlier is that there is a lane coming up from the village of Stainland right up to the dam and through an underpass at Camp Hill. It is shown by the purple line on this map...

View attachment 542455

I can do a very nice loop taking that in and aim to do so ASAP and will report in Your Ride Today. The road on Streetview.

Ha ha!

I used to live in Huddersfield and did that road once many years ago. I vaguely recall the street name is "Steep Hill"... ...goes off to google... doesn't look like it, but there is a "Steep Lane" not too far away near Luddenden Foot. Probably a different ride.

roubaixtuesday

OK, now for something completely different.

If you look carefully, you can see some intrepid cyclists.

Name that road!

roubaixtuesday

That's miles away!

I ride up Steep Lane many times a year. Craggies cafe is higher up on the business park on New Road before you get to the B6138 (where the turkey farm used to be). I have called in there on several forum rides.

It is 20 years since I lived there, I'm afraid I don't recall the details... I do remember thinking what a great name for a road to cycle up it was.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Wikipedia suggests that Network Rail is responsible for just under 10,000 miles of track, of which about a quarter has overhead electrification.

There was a time when Ordnance Survey had separate representation for single- and multiple-track lines, certainly into the early days of the 1:50,000 series. A much more useful distinction nowadays would be electrified/unelectrified, and not just when trying to solve puzzles on Internet forums. :scratch:

Top Bottom