Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Name that road!

(I don't THINK that I have posted this one before, but it is possible that I HAVE... :whistle:)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
It reminds me of the terrain in or very near Glencoe. There are not many roads round there, so I might look at the map.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Ah, I'd forgotten that bit!

Ah, so that is now a cycle path!
I think it's officially a footpath but no one in their right mind would cycle that stretch of the A66
But it looks like somebody finally came to the conclusion that having cyclists playing 'chicken' with fast-moving traffic was not a brilliant idea...

April 2010 (cyclists, cross here) :
View attachment 539856

August 2018 (cyclists, DO NOT cross here!) :
View attachment 539855

Fortunately i crossed it at around 6.30am, later in the morning would have been a daily nightmare. Coming back in the afternoon wasn't so bad as i was the traffic :okay:

As for rides around that area... this was one of my regular loops.

Any of the lanes around Branthwaite, Deanscales, Eaglesfield, Pardshaw and Mosser are glorious and quiet. The bulk of Grasmoor, Hopegill Head and Grisedale Pike looks so impressive from the northwest, and make it easy to keep one's bearings. :smile:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Until the discussion started I thought it was something like Lamp's Moss. Then I find I have this, taken from within Colin's picture:

Edit: maybe just outside, to the right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

How about a Streetview link to that please?

Interesting. I had a quick look around Mull but didn't bother with any roads by the sea as the light in the photograph didn't look like that you'd get in that situation (to me!). It looked like a narrow valley somehow. And I'm pretty sure you have posted that before since I recognised the view and haven't been to Mull for about ... ummm.... 33 years or thereabouts!

slow scot

Veteran
i have no access to any photos so I'd be obliged if someone else would post for me. Maybe Colin has another equally good view of some Scottish hill road.
The "Weekend Australian" Magazine some years ago had an article entitled " The Three Best Driving Roads in Europe". The first two were the Amalfi Coast road in Italy, and the Geneva/Nice alpine route. The third was the Mull loop of which Colin's photo was part. All of it is superb, but the bit under the cliffs at Loch Na Keal is breathtaking.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The third was the Mull loop of which Colin's photo was part. All of it is superb, but the bit under the cliffs at Loch Na Keal is breathtaking.
I've had 2 goes at doing a full clockwise circuit of Mull but both times ended up taking the shortcut across to Salen. One day I will go back and finish the job! I loved the ride round from Craignure to Salen. From Salen to Craignure wasn't quite as good (busier road, less spectacular) but the sea views were still lovely.

I think I may have missed a turn or two in the past, so I'll try this one. On a day ride from home:

View attachment 540049
It looks nice but I don't have a clue where it is!

I used to really like the idea of living next to a babbling brook but I have seen a lot of flooding since moving to the Calder Valley, which rather put me off. My sister is in the process of buying a dream retirement cottage in Devon and the first thing I noticed was that it is located in a similar position to the red car, relative to a large brook... Her solicitor has searched through the records and there is no history of flooding in the past 100+ years, but that wouldn't stop me worrying. I was worried when I moved HERE but relaxed a bit when I realised that I am about 2 metres above the deepest floodwater that the valley has experienced (to my knowledge).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

i have no access to any photos so I'd be obliged if someone else would post for me.
Aravis has done so, but for future reference... a lot of us are now lifting pictures off Google Streetview to use in this thread. I often don't take photos of some of the most interesting places that I ride in, but the Streetview cars have been almost everywhere in the UK now so it is usually possible to find a picture to use. The only rule is that you should have actually ridden the road at some time or another - we could all scour Streetview for some obscure lane that nobody on CycleChat would ever have been to! :laugh:

If you do use a Streetview picture, you need to scroll, zoom, and crop the picture to cut out any identifying map or text. The picture below would not be much use, for obvious reasons...

So it needs to be something like this...

Top Bottom