Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
another day another clue...

The lane is outside of The Lake District National Park, yet still within Wordsworth country :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The lane is outside of The Lake District National Park, yet still within Wordsworth country
That's what I was thinking. I have got very close to spotting the road, but none of the ones I have tried have been quite right. I can't be far off. There must be one or two lanes that I haven't checked yet.

I was playing about with my mapping software and realised that I hadn't tried its 3D option for a long time. It is quite impressive, and a lot of fun. It didn't take long to find a rough direction to look at Skiddaw from...

I think that the photo might be actually have been taken from a position slightly more to the south, and further away. I would say just the other side of Cockermouth? I can't find the exact position on Streetview but it looks very similar to this shot from NCN 71 between Great Broughton and Papcastle...

Is your photo lifted from Streetview (in which case I will carry on looking for a perfect match), or did you take it on one of your commutes decades ago (in which case trees, bushes, walls, fences, buildings etc, may have changed)?

MontyVeda

That's what I was thinking. I have got very close to spotting the road, but none of the ones I have tried have been quite right. I can't be far off. There must be one or two lanes that I haven't checked yet.

I was playing about with my mapping software and realised that I hadn't tried its 3D option for a long time. It is quite impressive, and a lot of fun. It didn't take long to find a rough direction to look at Skiddaw from...

View attachment 539720

View attachment 539719

I think that the photo might be actually have been taken from a position slightly more to the south, and further away. I would say just the other side of Cockermouth? I can't find the exact position on Streetview but it looks very similar to this shot from NCN 71 between Great Broughton and Papcastle...

View attachment 539722

Is your photo lifted from Streetview (in which case I will carry on looking for a perfect match), or did you take it on one of your commutes decades ago (in which case trees, bushes, walls, fences, buildings etc, may have changed)?
ooohhhh you're getting warm, almost hot... and yes, the photo is from street view (but i did rewind it a year to get a little bit of blue sky)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

This is REALLY tricky! I haven't managed to find the road yet, but my searches so far have encouraged me to go up there with my bike one day and meander about those scenic lumpy lanes. I have always thought more about the obvious places to ride such as Wrynose, Hard Knott, Kirkstone (etc.) Passes. I hadn't thought much about the countryside to the west of the national park.

I'll keep on searching...

I concur, @ColinJ : there are some rather nice small roads up there aren't there. I have driven up there and done some of the teeny Wainwrights (whilst supporting my girlfriend's poodle, photographed up-thread on Shetland, in his Wainwright completion obsession), but that was before I started cycling and I didn't notice how good it is. There are some nice long views that you don't get in the national park. Plus, there is presumably a lot less traffic, making it less a dice with death than the Lakes proper in summer.

Oh yes - and I also agree that this is very tricky !

MontyVeda

@ColinJ, you're so close it's frustrating. The distance from Skiddaw is just about right on that road between Gt Broughton and Papcastle... I don't know what else to say without giving it away.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@ColinJ, you're so close it's frustrating. The distance from Skiddaw is just about right on that road between Gt Broughton and Papcastle... I don't know what else to say without giving it away.
It really IS frustrating! I am blitzing all the roads round there but I must be just overlooking the right one. I'll probably find that the photo was taken on a road that I thought I have checked already. I was just musing that if I were getting paid minimum wage for doing this I would have already earned about £100! :laugh:

MontyVeda

It really IS frustrating! I am blitzing all the roads round there but I must be just overlooking the right one. I'll probably find that the photo was taken on a road that I thought I have checked already. I was just musing that if I were getting paid minimum wage for doing this I would have already earned about £100! :laugh:
OK... you've got your screen shot from NCN71, go back there on street view and if you broaden your horizon, you can literally see my road from your road (well, the hedgerows that run along it).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

OK... you've got your screen shot from NCN71, go back there on street view and if you broaden your horizon, you can literally see my road from your road (well, the hedgerows that run along it).
Pah - the old "They built a new A-road across the lane I used for my old commute" trick... Plus of course, you switching views so the pile of sand had mysteriously moved to the other side of the road! :okay:

MontyVeda

Finally!

I did say the pile of sand would be gone :whistle: ...and there is a gap in the wall at the end so a bike can easily get through :wacko:

And the A66 was definitely there when lived up that neck of the woods (2000-2002).... so no trickery intended.

Glad that's over... your turn again @ColinJ

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I did say the pile of sand would be gone :whistle:
Ah, I'd forgotten that bit!

...and there is a gap in the wall at the end so a bike can easily get through
Ah, so that is now a cycle path!

And the A66 was definitely there when lived up that neck of the woods (2000-2002)
But it looks like somebody finally came to the conclusion that having cyclists playing 'chicken' with fast-moving traffic was not a brilliant idea...

April 2010 (cyclists, cross here) :

August 2018 (cyclists, DO NOT cross here!) :

I'll be back anon with my next offering...

Top Bottom