Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ahhh.... so in fact it's a recent photograph whereas the Streetview imagery is from 2009. I was there yesterday, though travelling in the opposite direction as usual, and it's really tricky to place the trees. As to the Bowland image Colin's linked to: that's very familiar too. Southern side of Bowland somewhere, looking west I presume in the region of Chipping perhaps.

Anyway, here's another place to identify from somewhere in the UK.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Edit: this is the answer to @ColinJ's question, not @Sea of vapours!

It took a while, but I finally got a fix on it:

Looking northwards, about halfway between Beacon Fell and Parlick Hill, which is the one on the right.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Edit: this is the answer to @ColinJ's question, not @Sea of vapours!

It took a while, but I finally got a fix on it: ...

Looking northwards, about halfway between Beacon Fell and Parlick Hill, which is the one on the right.
Ah, well done! I was looking round by Newton and Whitewell. I knew I recognised Parlick Hill - it is the one that is used by the local paragliding/hangliding club - PennineSoaringClub and just below that by Bowland Forest Gliding Club.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
There are some very useful elements in that picture, @Sea of vapours, which should be identifiable on a map, but the area to search is rather large!

Judging by the angle and length on the shadows, it looks to be close to midday, so probably looking north-westish.

The sea on the right is narrowly separated from what looks like a substantial body of fresh water on the left, with a probable dead-end road between them. There's a cemetery by the shore.

It looks like one of the remoter Scottish Islands; probably too mountainous for the Uists, so maybe Harris/Lewis, Orkney, or Shetland.

Typically, I looked at Shetland last. I finally tracked it down at Sandvoe near the northern tip of Mainland:

Excellent work, @Aravis. My partner, whose photo and dog that is, works in Shetland and thought that would be suitably challenging whilst having sufficient clues for the determined. How can you tell that the left is fresh water and the right sea? (EDIT: Signs of tidal movement on the shore on the right perhaps?)

Over to you.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I have this from a ride last year:

Sufficient clues for the determined? I hope so. It's a popular and rewarding route which many cyclists will know.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Brilliant! :okay:

I thought it looked a bit hilly for Kent, but thought it might be Surrey or Sussex...

PS @MontyVeda - were you already looking for oast houses, or did I nudge you in the right direction? :whistle:

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A street view image from one of my regular routes. I don't actually ride down this road but do cross it. I'm certain others on CC also have. Shouldn't be too hard at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It took me a little while to narrow it down, but I thought that I recognised it from my Glasson Dock/Conder Green forum rides. Like you, we normally cross it, on our way to Galgate. Anyon Ln, Crossed by Chipping Rd.

I spotted the structure in the distance and realised that it was the motorway services on the M6.

Off for a bite to eat now. I'll have a think about what to post later. If I don't have one of my own photos, I'll lift one from Streetview from one of my routes.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ok... another one grabbed from Streetview, but (following the spirit of the challenge) I have ridden this road (2 or 3 times in fact). There is a subtle hint there.

The Streetview image has been framed to give you another couple of hints. I was actually riding in the opposite direction (i.e. towards the camera) but (BIG hint!) you might not have recognised the unexpectedly hard narrow wooded climb up from the camera position so I am giving you more to work with with this view! :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom