Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
Llangenny, to the East of Crickohowell
Clipboard01.jpg

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well done, @Trickedem, over to you. As you quickly find on this thread, some work better than others and it's hard to tell in advance. I was hoping this one would look as though it's in a village, which would help to narrow things down. Here's an extract from O/S:

The N/S road through Llangenny is part of a very useful route around the Sugar Loaf, and if you were, say, heading from the Gospel Pass to the Tumble, unless you particularly wanted to go through Abergavenny it's probably the way you'd go. Or Llanelly Hill instead of the Tumble if you're proper hard (I never was).

But while I'm here, I'd also like to draw attention to hill next to the blue number 16, which I don't seem to be able to find on any "hardest climb" list, or even find a name for. I've tackled it successfully in a motorized vehicle; the evidence from RwGPS suggests it's every bit as tough as Llanelly, and it's much more rural. At the top there are several miles of old tramway heading round to Brynmawr.

All blasts from the past as far as I'm concerned. I'm a hill avoider nowadays.

Edit: the Llanelly Hill I'm talking about is not the one going through Llanelly village in the map above - confusing or what? It's a few miles further south.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Is that the mountain Road up from Machynthlleth?

Trickedem

Guru
Well done, @Trickedem, over to you. As you quickly find on this thread, some work better than others and it's hard to tell in advance. I was hoping this one would look as though it's in a village, which would help to narrow things down. Here's an extract from O/S:

View attachment 540288
The N/S road through Llangenny is part of a very useful route around the Sugar Loaf, and if you were, say, heading from the Gospel Pass to the Tumble, unless you particularly wanted to go through Abergavenny it's probably the way you'd go. Or Llanelly Hill instead of the Tumble if you're proper hard (I never was).

But while I'm here, I'd also like to draw attention to hill next to the blue number 16, which I don't seem to be able to find on any "hardest climb" list, or even find a name for. I've tackled it successfully in a motorized vehicle; the evidence from RwGPS suggests it's every bit as tough as Llanelly, and it's much more rural. At the top there are several miles of old tramway heading round to Brynmawr.

All blasts from the past as far as I'm concerned. I'm a hill avoider nowadays.

Edit: the Llanelly Hill I'm talking about is not the one going through Llanelly village in the map above - confusing or what? It's a few miles further south.
Just looked at that climb. It is a beast. There is a Strava segment

Top Bottom