Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well if nothing else... I'd love to cycle the Druidale Road on the Isle of Man, but I pretty sure I'm on the wrong island.
I was just looking at the Isle of Man and thinking that I'd like to take a bicycle there one day. Do motorcyclists treat it like the TT all year round though?

I'll have another go at finding the road later if nobody else has.

... pretty sure I'm on the wrong island.
Correct - it's not the Isle of Man.

Venod

Eh up
My initial thoughts were Swaledale, but from the clues I have now convinced myself its the road to Glenmore on Skye but I can't make it fit on Google Streetview, am I even on the right Island.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
OT, but I'd love to cycle Skye, but having been driven from Lochalsh to Uig... the A87 looks a like a road that's worth avoiding at all costs, yet appears unavoidable for most routes around the island.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I was just looking at the Isle of Man and thinking that I'd like to take a bicycle there one day. Do motorcyclists treat it like the TT all year round though?

I'll have another go at finding the road later if nobody else has.
Possibly, but as I understand it, the island is pretty quiet when the TT's not on.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Possibly, but as I understand it, the island is pretty quiet when the TT's not on.
THIS COUPLE enjoyed it...
Blog post said:
Cycling on the Isle of Man

It is sooo good. Funny as it may sound, but cycling on the Isle of Man felt very much like cycling in Estonia (quiet and peaceful) and in the Basque country (architecture and roads) at the same time – not mentioning the striking resemblance to Icelandic sceneries. I’m not sure that we have already experienced such respectful drivers – not a single uncomfortable overtake or an awkward honk sound. 100% safety.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
This is quite difficult so I'll make it far less so by saying that it was taken on an island markedly smaller than the island of Great Britain.
Put like that, my first guess would be Ireland. So, for the rules of the game, Northern Ireland. If so, I have some maps that might help. By the time I've dug them out I'll probably know it's not. ;)

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Is it Shetland? Could be up in Unst or maybe Yell. Has that feel about it.
Hope I'm wrong, as I've no photos to post! Looks a lovely road wherever it is.
Not Ireland then. :blush:

A little south from Voe, looking north, on Mainland.

I don't think I solved that one, so over to @slow scot? See recent pages for interpretation of the rules. Essentially a screen grab is OK provided you've actually cycled the route.

That looks right, but it's not 'a little south from Voe', unless you mean 'a little south from a voe?

Let me just check and I'll edit this in a few minutes....

EDIT: correct - comments below.

Last edited:

slow scot

Veteran
Hate to be a party pooper, but I was nowhere near the correct road! OK, I thought it was Shetland right enough, but I was an island, or two, out. I cannot claim total credit for this.
Also, I'm fairly new to computers, and I don't even understand what "screen grabbing" really means. But I just love this thread and the wide choice of roads, and would appreciate it if someone else would put one up.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The grid reference is approximately 332798, and the road is the A970. I can see a place called Voe about a mile north by the lochside. Is that right?

If it's any help I do have another lined up which has a clue anyone can search for!

@Aravis : yes, that is it. I was just unaware that there's a place called Voe there. There is also another, and rather larger one about 20km south. 'Voe' is Shetlandish for 'inlet', or similar, so the word appears rather a lot since there are a fair few inlets around. i was also looking for the distinctive, sloping fence end on the right, which is a little further back along the road from your screenshot. Here: https://tinyurl.com/y2d9f8je

Not one of the larger A roads in the UK, that one; (at least not by the time it gets to there anyway!

Over to you @Aravis, given the discussion above.

Top Bottom