Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I think this will be another easy one.

roubaixtuesday

Correct I have struggled up Hungate bank several times, MTB riding is also good in that area some good tracks and the dry valleys are wonderfull.

I've never cycled around there; looks super but very odd landscape with a field in the bottom of a dry valley!

roubaixtuesday

A wild guess - is it the climb up Great Dun Fell?

Yes, it is indeed, I thought that might be rumbled fairly quickly. You can see the radar dome on the horizon.

Wonderful car free road with a perfect surface, a "must do" for any hill enthusiast, but low gears essential.

Your turn.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Yes, it is indeed, I thought that might be rumbled fairly quickly. You can see the radar dome on the horizon.

Wonderful car free road with a perfect surface, a "must do" for any hill enthusiast, but low gears essential.

Your turn.
Another localish spot i keep meaning to explore. My granddad's family have farmed at the bottom if that hill (ish... Long Marton) since the 16th century... and High Cup Nick is is a fine looking example of a glacial valley.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I wasn't sure about Great Dun - the Streetview I was looking at didn't extend far enough up and lower down it doesn't look such a wide road, but the contours on O/S looked about right.

Here's my next offering, from a memorable ride a few years ago, part of a notable sequence:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've never cycled around there; looks super but very odd landscape with a field in the bottom of a dry valley!
Very odd indeed! I wasn't sure what I was looking at there.
A wild guess - is it the climb up Great Dun Fell?
I have toyed with doing a really hard forum ride loop taking that in but it would be dependent on me being much fitter than I have been in recent years. I would have a lot of travelling to do to get there and back so I would probably aim to go up there for a long weekend. It would be a bit dodgy if the weather turned nasty on the day.

The descent off Great Dun Fell could be pretty scary if you didn't do a lot of braking! I have just done a short local descent at about half that gradient and was almost wiped out by a sheep that had been hiding behind a large rock...

roubaixtuesday

Very odd indeed! I wasn't sure what I was looking at there.

I have toyed with doing a really hard forum ride loop taking that in but it would be dependent on me being much fitter than I have been in recent years. I would have a lot of travelling to do to get there and back so I would probably aim to go up there for a long weekend. It would be a bit dodgy if the weather turned nasty on the day.

The descent off Great Dun Fell could be pretty scary if you didn't do a lot of braking! I have just done a short local descent at about half that gradient and was almost wiped out by a sheep that had been hiding behind a large rock...

We did Great Dun on a day trip to Sedburgh: up the Lune gorge, over to Knock, up and down Great Dun, Brough, Tan Hill, Kirkby Stephen and back to Sedburgh.

A magnificent if rather epic day out.

The descent from Great Dun is *very* fast if you want, and car free, but does feature a lot of sheep. It's the only UK descent I've ever done which is long and fast enough to feel the temperature rising as you come down.

I'd say it's the single toughest ascent I've ever done on a bike bar none: long, very steep and highly exposed to the wind. Awesome views across the lake district.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The descent from Great Dun is *very* fast if you want, and car free, but does feature a lot of sheep. It's the only UK descent I've ever done which is long and fast enough to feel the temperature rising as you come down.
And ear-popping-tastic! My biggest local descents are only 300-350 m of elevation loss but that's enough to make my ears pop if I do them quickly.

Top Bottom