Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Its Water Lane Wilmslow with Cav.

1596827917002.png

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Just looked at that climb. It is a beast. There is a Strava segment
That isn't the one I meant, but it's a very good one, which, surprisingly, I have actually climbed. But the evidence isn't there, and you know what that means...

I don't think I can search Strava segments these days, so I plotted the one I was talking about in RwGPS. That's 190m of climb in 1.3km, which, dare I say it, puts it close to the Hardknott class.

But for some reason I've not been able to find any mention of it anywhere, whereas the nearby and comparable Llanelly Hill is on everyone's list.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmmm. I guess it's my turn. Are foreign roads allowed?
I know you've already posted one now, but for the record, no - let's stick to UK roads. It would get a bit crazy if any road in the world were allowed... Obviously, you could pick a very well-known foreign road such as the Champs-Élysées but otherwise we wouldn't stand a chance. Backstreet in an obscure village in Patagonia, anyone? :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I don't think I can search Strava segments these days, so I plotted the one I was talking about in RwGPS. That's 190m of climb in 1.3km, which, dare I say it, puts it close to the Hardknott class.
I plotted it on my OS map and make it even tougher than that - 202m in 1.28 km, an average gradient of 15.8%!

PS I just compared that to some local toughies...

Doghouse Lane (back of Todmorden railway station) has a very tough start which averages 14.1% for about 0.93 km, and then continues up less steeply for another km or so.

Mytholm Steeps (Hebden Bridge) has a similarly hard start averaging 13% for 1.5 km, and then continues at a lesser gradient. The first 850 metres average 16%. So, the Welsh climb is about the same gradient, but 50% longer. That is hard!

Cross Stone Road/Hey Head Lane (Todmorden) averages 12.3% for the first km, 11.1% for the whole 2.4 km climb. It should have featured on the Tour de Yorkshire this year, but Coronavirus put a stop to that. Hopefully in 2021 instead?

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
By the power of google... that'll be Marsh Lane in Wistow, North Yorks... only on Streetview, there's no beacon... :blush:

...clearly the same place though :okay: Interesting that that ditch is called 'Old Course of River Ouse'.

Big day at work tomorrow and gardening for mother on Sunday... so first come first served on posting the next instalment of @ColinJ's wonderful Name That Road game.

Swift work @Venod ...68 mins to name Roubaixtuesday's road... Is that a record in this thread?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

By the power of google... that'll be Marsh Lane in Wistow, North Yorks... only on Streetview, there's no beacon... :blush:
By the still-mighty power of Google, the reason that there is no beacon in that image is because the car went down there in 2011, but the beacon was put in place for the 2012 Diamond Jubilee! :okay:

I'll let someone else volunteer a photo this time...

PS I have no idea why the Nepalese FB page appeared in the search results!

I'm confident that there are enough details in this image to narrow it down adequately. I've cycled along this road but it's not my photo and I had to work it out myself.

IMG-0151.JPG

Venod

Eh up
Well done @MontyVeda I thought I might have to provide more clues, did you recognise the location ?

Roubaixtuesdays was simply a matter of googling Aston Martin dealership images, good job it wasn't a Ford dealership in the pic

Last edited:

MontyVeda

Well done @MontyVeda I thought I might have to provide more clues, did you recognise the location ?

Roubaixtuesdays was simply a matter of googling Aston Martin dealership images, good job it wasn't a Ford dealership in the pic
initially I was thinking much further north, around Catterick / Newton-le-Willows... but an image search for 'jubilee beacons yorkshire' nailed it :okay:

MontyVeda

I'm confident that there are enough details in this image to narrow it down adequately. I've cycled along this road but it's not my photo and I had to work it out myself.

View attachment 540411
The two masts on the lefthand fell are making me think of Whin Fell that overlooks Grayrigg near Kendall... but the google car drove around there on a gloomy day with low cloud so streetview is giving me no clues. That landscape looks Dalesy or Howgills to me.

!!!
Have you been looking at my Stava data? There is a service road up to those masts on Whin Fell. I'd never been up it until six days ago. The two masts do, given the limits of resolution in the photo above, look very similar, but I'm afraid that's not what it is. The masts are, however, most certainly a key clue. I'll agree that the landscape looks a bit like the Dales or Howgills, but it's not.

This is quite difficult so I'll make it far less so by saying that it was taken on an island markedly smaller than the island of Great Britain.

MontyVeda

I'm strava-ignorant I'm afraid. I always look out for those masts because they overlook Grayrigg which is where my grandparents met, working on the land army during WWII, and is where my granddad's buried. I'll follow your next clue which I think i know where you're hinting at.

Top Bottom