Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Not far off! Relatively speaking, anyway. I've ridden this road on the way to Skipton before.
Is that coming from Dorset or Oxford?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Can't think what took us so long :wacko:

Edit: I think this road might've been on the Women's ToB last year? They probably went past this spot on a commercial break.

Last edited:

Solocle

Über Member

View attachment 545812

Edit: I think this road might've been on the Women's ToB last year? They probably went past this spot on a commercial break.
Yeah, lovely part of the world, and I particularly enjoyed riding out to Otley - descending East Chevin! Incidentally, one of the few Strava segments where I'm anywhere near competitive with pros (UCI Worlds last year)... on the bike in the picture :okay:
1599422180895.png

Anyway, your turn

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thanks @Solocle. That certainly wasn't easy. The only thing I could see to hunt for was a farm track leaving a straightish road at an angle slightly to the left of perpendicular. I wasn't going to find that without the area being narrowed down significantly.

And now for something completely different. This was taken by my dad, on holiday, probably August 3rd 1975. I can narrow it down to that extent because I know which test match England were playing while we were travelling the previous day. I've ridden past this spot just once, on Good Friday 1984.

Tribansman

Veteran
This is the first one I've recognised!

High Street, Gatehouse of Fleet

Screenshot_20200906_232011.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

View attachment 545812

I was looking around Otley but that was one of the few roads that I hadn't got round to checking!

There is something quite distinctive about the lower Wharfe valley which is in the distance.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well done @Tribansman, I thought there was a fair chance someone would recognise it. If not, I was going to help with a couple more pictures from the same time which combined would definitely have put you on the right road:

In pre by-pass days Gatehouse used to be transformed at certain times of the day by a procession of vehicles of this type, quite an exciting feature when on holiday but no doubt the townspeople were glad to see the back of them.

When I passed through in 1984 I'd travelled up overnight on the train to Dumfries and rode to Stranraer for a lunchtime ferry, all the way on the A75 apart from a little corner-cut east of Gatehouse. I don't remember it being anything other than delightful.

Over to @Tribansman ...

Tribansman

Veteran
Thanks Aravis. Interesting history that. I recognised the tower from when I went through Gatehouse on my LEJOG route.

Right, shouldn't be too difficult this (have used a street view image as it looks quite different from the actual picture i took, which was also a bit grainy)...

pic.jpg

Top Bottom