Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I recognised that one, @Tribansman, not because I've been there, but because in the last couple of weeks I've been thinking about better times and touring. There's a tempting-looking circuit available using the Campbeltown-Ballycastle and Larne-Cairnryan ferries, and hopping across to Great Cumbrae looks as though it would be well worth the effort if there's time. My plan will no doubt change a million times before I ever do it, which I probably won't.

The picture is at the north end of the island on the B896, with Largs across the water:

Tribansman

Veteran
I recognised that one, @Tribansman, not because I've been there, but because in the last couple of weeks I've been thinking about better times and touring. There's a tempting-looking circuit available using the Campbeltown-Ballycastle and Larne-Cairnryan ferries, and hopping across to Great Cumbrae looks as though it would be well worth the effort if there's time. My plan will no doubt change a million times before I ever do it, which I probably won't.

The picture is at the north end of the island on the B896, with Largs across the water:

View attachment 545900

Quick work 👍 I thought that wouldn't be too tricky.

Sounds like a good route you're planning (I've done most of those roads and they were quiet when I did them) and I'd definitely recommend a hop over to Great Cumbrae. It's an interesting little island and a lovely circuit with cracking views and opportunity to spot wildlife on and off the shoreline. Spent a couple of nights up there a couple of years ago on a stag do, was an interesting experience doing a few laps of the island in a howling gale and slightly worse for wear. Largs is well worth a stroll around too, and a nice climb up out of it.

Think I've peaked - I'm generally pretty clueless on the roads posted here and don't have any OS maps to hand - so this may well be my one and only post!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Quick work 👍 I thought that wouldn't be too tricky.

Sounds like a good route you're planning (I've done most of those roads and they were quiet when I did them) and I'd definitely recommend a hop over to Great Cumbrae. It's an interesting little island and a lovely circuit with cracking views and opportunity to spot wildlife on and off the shoreline. Spent a couple of nights up there a couple of years ago on a stag do, was an interesting experience doing a few laps of the island in a howling gale and slightly worse for wear. Largs is well worth a stroll around too, and a nice climb up out of it.

Think I've peaked - I'm generally pretty clueless on the roads posted here and don't have any OS maps to hand - so this may well be my one and only post!

Bing maps allows free access to OS.

The OS app is also a bargain IMO.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I wouldn't like to think how many tours I've planned compared to how many have actually come to fruition. Modern planning tools have probably made it worse. The idea of a circuit around a portion of the Irish Sea has always held a fascination, and I think the one I described is my favourite idea at the moment, so maybe it has a chance. For a diversion to Great Cumbrae, I thought this might work. About 14 miles so it would fit nicely into a two-hour gap between ferries, and the views on Streetview look stupendous:

But more importantly, the next puzzle for this thread. It's possible some might know this; it isn't Scotland, nor will my current location help you. It's the road in which I grew up, taken in 1983, so I've crossed the bridge literally thousands of times using all available methods of transport. One of my party pieces was walking through the stream on stilts, never once getting my feet wet...

I'll give some thought to further clues.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I wouldn't like to think how many tours I've planned compared to how many have actually come to fruition. Modern planning tools have probably made it worse. The idea of a circuit around a portion of the Irish Sea has always held a fascination, and I think the one I described is my favourite idea at the moment, so maybe it has a chance. For a diversion to Great Cumbrae, I thought this might work. About 14 miles so it would fit nicely into a two-hour gap between ferries, and the views on Streetview look stupendous:

View attachment 545906

But more importantly, the next puzzle for this thread. It's possible some might know this; it isn't Scotland, nor will my current location help you. It's the road in which I grew up, taken in 1983, so I've crossed the bridge literally thousands of times using all available methods of transport. One of my party pieces was walking through the stream on stilts, never once getting my feet wet...

View attachment 545907

I'll give some thought to further clues.
Must have been a local Fiat dealer.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I think a day is long enough. There are some renowned cycling routes nearby which I've seen talked about on this site, so it was certainly possible someone would recognise the place without help.

Time for a big pointer. Three triple crown winners were trained less than a mile away.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Do I need to wait for confirmation? Hang it, I'll just blast ahead.

I've edited this picture to remove most of the give-away writing on the wooden sign. I'll post it as is and if needed I have some clues.
1599573286008.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OK here are a couple of clues.
First is not really a clue, just a point of note. I left the date of 2014 on the wooden sign because if you look at the road in Streetview, the sign isn't there. That's because the Streetview imagery precedes the sign. But there is at least one pic of the sign elsewhere on the web.

And here's a literary clue: It's a place where you might meet Kamal and the Colonel's son.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
No worries. One of these days someone will do that and find they were wrong, but there wasn't much danger of that here.

Since it seems I've already said more than enough about cycling around Kingsclere in another thread, I won't do so again.
My Aunt used to live in Kingsclere, but that was a long, long, long time ago. Probably something like 40 years ago now. We used to stay there overnight so we could catch the early ferry from Portsmouth or Southampton. Uncle used to work adjacent to Greenham Common.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
My Aunt used to live in Kingsclere, but that was a long, long, long time ago. Probably something like 40 years ago now. We used to stay there overnight so we could catch the early ferry from Portsmouth or Southampton. Uncle used to work adjacent to Greenham Common.
It was over 40 years ago when I left to go to university, after which I never lived in Kingsclere full time. Quite frightening really.

@Dogtrousers your Kamal and the Colonel's son clue would mean absolutely nothing to me without the help of Wikipedia. The Ballad of East and West suggests somewhere near the East/West Sussex border, but looking at the map I've yet to spot a strong candidate. :sad:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It was over 40 years ago when I left to go to university, after which I never lived in Kingsclere full time. Quite frightening really.

@Dogtrousers your Kamal and the Colonel's son clue would mean absolutely nothing to me without the help of Wikipedia. The Ballad of East and West suggests somewhere near the East/West Sussex border, but looking at the map I've yet to spot a strong candidate. :sad:

North west frontier - I'd suggest borders. No idea where though.

Top Bottom