Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Nice to see that you still drop in to CycleChat from time to time. It would be good to do another forum ride with you and @Littgull once the corona virus situation is under control. (I haven't seen him since before the big lockdown.)

Yes, definitely. That would be good

Tribansman

Veteran
Time for a couple of clues.

I've already confirmed it's Welsh. It's in North Wales, pretty close to a castle

And here's the view if you turn around...

Screenshot_20200928_131112_com.google.android.apps.maps~2.jpg

robjh

Legendary Member
Time for a couple of clues.

I've already confirmed it's Welsh. It's in North Wales, pretty close to a castle

And here's the view if you turn around...

View attachment 549619
You're on the Sarn Helen road heading down towards Dolwyddelan, about here
1601761511594.png

I haven't been up that road, or many of the other tiny 'dead end' roads that lead into the hills around there, but it looks like a good one.

Tribansman

Veteran
You're on the Sarn Helen road heading down towards Dolwyddelan, about here
View attachment 550534
I haven't been up that road, or many of the other tiny 'dead end' roads that lead into the hills around there, but it looks like a good one.

Yep, it's a cracking road and sensational views its whole length. Tracks lead up into the forest too and in to a warren of MTB-able trails.

The main road through Dolwyddelan to Blaneau Ffestiniog is also a sensational road with lots of old mine works and an awesome descent

Aravis

Putrid Donut
@robjh I think that might be on Dartmoor heading south-west on the B3212, looking down the hill into Postbridge. Just to add a bit of excitement I haven't checked it on Streetview, so I could be completely wrong.

robjh

Legendary Member
@robjh I think that might be on Dartmoor heading south-west on the B3212, looking down the hill into Postbridge. Just to add a bit of excitement I haven't checked it on Streetview, so I could be completely wrong.
No need to check it, you're absolutely right - it is the descent to Postbridge, coming from the Moretonhampstead direction.
If anyone had asked for more clues I was going to point out the rocky outcrops on the horizon and ask which moor might be well-known for such things. But you've got it, so well done and over to you

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thanks @robjh. I've ridden up that hill on a couple of occasions, many years apart, and your picture matched an image in my mind. I have a photograph of my Revell Elite with bulging panniers on the bridge in 1985 which I was hoping to use in this thread, but sadly it doesn't really show the road.

Here's my next effort, taken during a lockdown ride:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
No-one's recognising it are they? It would certainly be known instantly to a lot of cyclists, including many on this forum.

The large isolated hill in the centre of the picture is a geological outlier, but is included in the AONB named after the larger range of hills of which it was once a part.

newts

Veteran
No-one's recognising it are they? It would certainly be known instantly to a lot of cyclists, including many on this forum.

The large isolated hill in the centre of the picture is a geological outlier, but is included in the AONB named after the larger range of hills of which it was once a part.
Is it the Mendips in the background?

Tribansman

Veteran

Is it Bredon Hill? If it is, that's still not helping me find the road!

Top Bottom