Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well, you are all very polite. I think this one might work; there are sufficient features to match with the OS map, but maybe not to lead you to the spot in the first place. I was heading for the Broadway Tower that day, with some of the driest midwinter roads you could hope for.

The camera wasn't the best, and it's since been lost when I forgot to close a zip properly during a ride.

Trickedem

Guru
Well, you are all very polite. I think this one might work; there are sufficient features to match with the OS map, but maybe not to lead you to the spot in the first place. I was heading for the Broadway Tower that day, with some of the driest midwinter roads you could hope for.

The camera wasn't the best, and it's since been lost when I forgot to close a zip properly during a ride.

View attachment 551947
Is that a pylon ahead? Can you give us a clue as to what direction you are facing in?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Is that a pylon ahead? Can you give us a clue as to what direction you are facing in?
I've been out for a ride today, so no chance to reply until now. I don't think there are any conspicuous landmarks ahead. I'm looking north-east.

Dry though the road may be in the picture, a little way ahead that is very much not the case.

Trickedem

Guru
I've been out for a ride today, so no chance to reply until now. I don't think there are any conspicuous landmarks ahead. I'm looking north-east.

Dry though the road may be in the picture, a little way ahead that is very much not the case.

Well I really enjoyed looking for this. Critchford Lane heading towards Kineton. I guessed there was a ford ahead based on your clue. I've looked at so many lanes on Streetview that look fantastic, I will have to organise a ride around here.
critchford lane.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well I really enjoyed looking for this. Critchford Lane heading towards Kineton. I guessed there was a ford ahead based on your clue. I've looked at so many lanes on Streetview that look fantastic, I will have to organise a ride around here.
I am really pleased with the way that Name That Road has developed! I am like you - if I have any idea of where to look, I scour the OS maps and Streetview and am constantly finding places that I would like to visit one day.

Trickedem

Guru
A470 east of Dolgellau, between Cross Foxes Inn and Dinas Mawddwy?

View attachment 552309
Spot on. That was too quick. Second day of the Bryan Chapman, that climb up past X Foxes was a beast! I am going to go with something really obscure next time.

Tribansman

Veteran
Spot on. That was too quick. Second day of the Bryan Chapman, that climb up past X Foxes was a beast! I am going to go with something really obscure next time.

Beautiful road and as you say, what a descent, especially with those sweeping views. Cycled it last summer so relatively fresh in the memory.

Right, this shouldn't be too tricky either. Cycled through here from home with fully laden panniers for a camping weekend last year. Was a tough day in the saddle, but weather was as glorious as it is in this pic, and I had an emergency pint and pie in a pub just behind where this was taken!

EDIT: forgot to attach pic, then my phone died! :wacko:

Gtr

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I am going to be presumptive and assume I got the last one right.
This thread has a habit of bursting into life when you look away for a few hours. After yesterday's efforts on the road I went to bed the moment the Giro highlights had finished.

Absolutely correct, it goes without saying.

Top Bottom