Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tribansman

Veteran
You clearly know your factory types...

Tribansman

Veteran
Great North Road. Here.
Yep. Have done the road a couple of times en route out of Newark to quieter lanes when cycling up north to see my folks. Remember the smell being pretty pungent from the factory, and the chimneys and steam clouds visible for miles around. Over to you...

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Yep. Have done the road a couple of times en route out of Newark to quieter lanes when cycling up north to see my folks. Remember the smell being pretty pungent from the factory, and the chimneys and steam clouds visible for miles around. Over to you...
My sister used to live in Bury St Edmunds, and the sight of the sugar silos meant that she was nearly home, or I was just about to arrive, so the sight of such items was quite evocative. On the other hand, the factory also used to be quite smelly when the wind was in the wrong direction, so not all good for her.

BrumJim

No guesses yet?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm looking for single chevrons on the OS map.

Judging from the obscured sign there looks to be a large factory site/military camp/whatever off to the right.

Hmm... things to do now. I'll check in later and have another look if nobody has found it by then!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The entrance to Wensley Quarry, a few miles west of Leyburn. About to descend Scarth Nick and Sissy Bank:

I very nearly rode this way a couple of years ago, heading eastwards, but in the event took the easier route on the main road.

BrumJim

The entrance to Wensley Quarry, a few miles west of Leyburn. About to descend Scarth Nick and Sissy Bank:

View attachment 576049

I very nearly rode this way a couple of years ago, heading eastwards, but in the event took the easier route on the main road.
Correct, only I have just ridden up Sissy Bank and am awaiting my riding companion.

Tarmac quarry to the right, and also a tank range. There is a sign warning you of turning tanks just near there. Not an every-day sign.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The next one is at the ready. This is scanned from one of my late mother's prints. It was taken about 15 years ago, and before I could use it here I had to identify the spot myself. I did ride this way a long long time ago:

Some of the details are more subject to change than others.

Top Bottom