Gappy headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Crown race doesn't look like it's all the way home. That may be a starting point.
That's the problem. It's like the race doesn't match the bearing. Same story with the split ring. I think I'll follow @Siclo 's advice and try taking the top bearing apart. If that works then surely the bottom will follow. If not then maybe FSA have packed the wrong bearings? Seems unlikely but I'll have to see if I can judge the angle on them.

Serge

Über Member
That's the problem. It's like the race doesn't match the bearing. Same story with the split ring. I think I'll follow @Siclo 's advice and try taking the top bearing apart. If that works then surely the bottom will follow. If not then maybe FSA have packed the wrong bearings? Seems unlikely but I'll have to see if I can judge the angle on them.
I have a long term plan to build up a bike, but then I read threads like this and gently weep. I have absolutely no idea what you're all talking about!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I have a long term plan to build up a bike, but then I read threads like this and gently weep. I have absolutely no idea what you're all talking about!
I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's just the bits that you put together on the fork to hold the steerer. It's just about getting them in the right order and the right way up: -
Threadless_Headset-sm.gif

Even if you don't fancy tackling the headset, I'm sure your bike shop would be happy to fit that and you can then just build up the rest.

Serge

Über Member
I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's just the bits that you put together on the fork to hold the steerer. It's just about getting them in the right order and the right way up: -
View attachment 415228

Even if you don't fancy tackling the headset, I'm sure your bike shop would be happy to fit that and you can then just build up the rest.
That was actually going to be one of the first jobs I was going to attempt!

I'm determined to do everything myself and learn along the way so expect lots of inane questions once I've made a start.

Siclo

Veteran
Hmmmm....If it's this bearing, it can't go in the wrong in the wrong way.....but that bearing doesn't match the image in the pdf of the instructions, headsets are great :wacko:

Siclo

Veteran
PDF = No11g
Your headset = No11n

Different top I reckon doesn't explain why the race looks incompatible

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
PDF = No11g
Your headset = No11n

Different top I reckon doesn't explain why the race looks incompatible
Only difference is the top cap. Same with No11P. However, No11AGY is a different headset altogether.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've taken the thing apart and as suspected, the bearings are not cartridges and cannot possibly be fitted any other way round. They are ball and cage with a cover acting as a race and providing the angled contact, held in place with a rubber seal. Here's the bottom one.
20180620_211743.jpg

And here's the top one with the cover popped off.
20180620_210112.jpg

If I try to marry the cover up with the crown race, although the angles appear the same, it doesn't seem to go all the way on.

20180620_211956.jpg

I tried reassembling the bottom and there's still a gap but possibly less of one? Hard to tell with this picture but you can still see the angled part of the crown race which doesn't seem right.

20180620_212126.jpg

The split ring will sit all the way in the bearing cover but it does take a bit of encouragement. I might try filing a bit off it and then just being a bit slower and more careful with reassembly.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Looking at the least of your photos, the largest part of the gap seems to be showing the bearing, surely this should be in the fork, is it too tight or at the wrong angle to go in?

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Looking at the least of your photos, the largest part of the gap seems to be showing the bearing, surely this should be in the fork, is it too tight or at the wrong angle to go in?
Sorry, that's a terrible macro/flash/phone picture. The bearing's integrated into the cup. It's the crown race you can see.

Siclo

Veteran
How did you set the crown race and press the bearings? Each only needs to be a gnats nadger out of square and it won't fit

Top Bottom