Gappy headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
That's the bearing cover sat on top of the crown race. If the crown race is not flush it's by fractions of a millimetre but it's difficult to tell with the grease in the way.

@smutchin, not that gap, in your image the shadow beneath between the black/shiny grey race and white crown at they very left hand edge, that's the problem I think

Ah! I see.

Told you I'm not an expert! ^_^

Do you still have a 2 or 3mm gap between the top of the headtube and the top spacer with this headset. If you don't the top cap won't be able to compress it enough. If you don't you'll have to change your spacer to a smaller one. If it's not that and it's all seated properly, it could just be that that headset doesn't quite suit the bike.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Do you still have a 2 or 3mm gap between the top of the headtube and the top spacer with this headset. If you don't the top cap won't be able to compress it enough. If you don't you'll have to change your spacer to a smaller one. If it's not that and it's all seated properly, it could just be that that headset doesn't quite suit the bike.
Yes, the spacers all look right. I could try popping another slim one in there to give plenty of compression but I think I've got the right amount there already.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just time this evening for a quick photo of the crown race sans grease. I see no gap.
20180621_204656.jpg

However, the split ring does not go fully into the top bearing which is what is causing the gap at the top. I think this could be due to the cups being ever so slightly misaligned so when I get a chance I shall give them another beating with the rubber mallet and see where I end up.

Top spacer gap's fine. It'll preload to the point of being overtight.
20180621_205716.jpg

Top Bottom