Gappy headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
How did you set the crown race and press the bearings? Each only needs to be a gnats nadger out of square and it won't fit
The proper way. With a hammer.
You just haven't pressed it in properly.
So that picture of the bearing cover on the crown race looks ok?

Next chance I get I'll hit it a bit harder with the hammer and see if that fixes it.

So that picture of the bearing cover on the crown race looks ok?
At least one of the pictures is showing that the race is not pressed on enough. It's an interference fit so it needs some force to push it on, it shouldn't sit proud. I would guess it's the same with the other one.

Siclo

Veteran
The proper way. With a hammer.

Ah, I think we may have the problem.

Crown race - get a piece of poly-pipe, the sort used for washing machine waste, cut it square longer than the steerer, slide over the steerer, invert fork and bash end of poly pipe onto the floor - or get a setting tool.

Bearings- you're going to need either a bearing press or a piece of threaded rod, some washers and some nuts like this:

bearingpress.jpg

Wind the nuts till it's all pressed and square

After that it should all line up.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Crown race - get a piece of poly-pipe, the sort used for washing machines, cut it longer than the steerer, slide over the steerer, invert fork and bash end of poly pipe onto the floor - or get a setting tool.

I got a proper setting tool - I didn't trust myself to do it properly with a random bit of pipe. Also the proper tool comes with adapters to fit the crown race to ensure a straight fit. Pricey for a tool you're not going to use very often but I reckon it's probably worth it. Just don't get the ridiculously expensive Park Tool version - I got the Wiggle Lifeline one, which was less than half the price, though they seem to have stopped selling it.

KneesUp

Guru
I did mine at the local bike charity place - you can hire workstands for £4 an hour, and you get access to all their tools. Might be worth seeing if there is somewhere local that does the same thing?

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm struggling to see how you can tell the crown race isn't properly seated. I'm also struggling to see how the seating of the race would affect the fit between itself and the bearing cover. I'll see if I can make a few adjustments to the fit and get some better photos.

I will be using a hammer.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm struggling to see how you can tell the crown race isn't properly seated.

Well, not that I'm any kind of expert on this, but I would think the gap between the crown race and the crown is a clue.

I do remember when I fitted the crown race on my bike, I had to whack it really hard to get it all the way down - much harder than I'd expected.

I'm also struggling to see how the seating of the race would affect the fit between itself and the bearing cover.

Maybe it's not straight? This is the main reason you should use a proper setting tool AIUI.

Alternatively, perhaps the race and bearing aren't matched? Obviously this shouldn't be the case, but could be a slight cock-up on the factory front.

No idea why you've also got a gap at the top as well.

Siclo

Veteran
I will be using a hammer.

And if a little hammer doesn't work.....

I agree with @smutchin about the gap between race and crown on the LHS of this image

20180620_211956-jpg.jpg

It does take a mighty whack to seat, I've seen them done with scaffold poles before :eek:

I'm also struggling to see how the seating of the race would affect the fit between itself and the bearing cover

If the race is not square on the crown, the cover needs to pitch to drop onto the race but it can't because the steerer is holding it square. That's what was going on with the compression ring you've persuaded to fit without the steerer inserted, if I understand correctly (and I might not)

The million dollar question is does the cover fit the race when neither is on the steerer? But you're likely to knacker the race if you try and prise it off now.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
And if a little hammer doesn't work.....

I agree with @smutchin about the gap between race and crown on the LHS of this image

View attachment 415391

It does take a mighty whack to seat, I've seen them done with scaffold poles before :eek:

If the race is not square on the crown, the cover needs to pitch to drop onto the race but it can't because the steerer is holding it square. That's what was going on with the compression ring you've persuaded to fit without the steerer inserted, if I understand correctly (and I might not)

The million dollar question is does the cover fit the race when neither is on the steerer? But you're likely to knacker the race if you try and prise it off now.
Yeah, I'm not going to try and take it off now although I do seem to remember it not quite seeming to fit at the time. I'll have a closer look at the crown race fitting when I get a chance, and hopefully take some better photos without all the grease in the way.

Bearing in mind I'm using the hammer method, I have been a little cautious with not wanting to hit it too hard so far. I'll see what it looks like and maybe give it another couple of thwacks.

Siclo

Veteran
If it's not straight it's by such a tiny amount that I can't see it affecting the fit in that photo.

Tolerances on races are stupidly tight, if your race is 0.2 degrees out of square on the crown the top a 450mm steerer will be 1.6mm off centre, way beyond what the bearing cover, compression ring etc will take.

@smutchin, not that gap, in your image the shadow beneath between the black/shiny grey race and white crown at they very left hand edge, that's the problem I think

Top Bottom