Garage refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, garage number 2 has been knackered since we moved in 12 years ago. Shame on me.

Time to re roof it and move my gym out there. I've crowbarred off the nacked door and started to clear out the crud. No massive hurry at this point as I'm still awaiting a delivery date for the roofing materials - once the date is confirmed I'll hire a skip and start clearing the sheet away.

The eagle eyed will spot my secret weapon. My neighbours had a new conservatory built and I was ablemto nab a door, two windows, and associated frames etc, as well as a few long lengths of the UPVC from trimming. Very pleaded with thar, and it should make for a tidy and weatherproof facade when its all in.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
That little pink bike is just the kind of bike I imagined you rode!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
That workmate is discarded tat from the prevuous owners. Its actually survived the damp conditions well, so will be getting a good clean and will be added to my tool shed.

Keeping the flat roof, though ill be adding a few more degrees. Using box section galv corrugated, the heavy stuff,

Dave 123

Legendary Member
An air b&b if ever there was......

Serious Q for a moment as your converting into a habitable space (gym) and adding to the pitch (height increase) with doors and windows instead of an up and over door do you need permissions to do it or does it fall under permitted development?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Serious Q for a moment as your converting into a habitable space (gym) and adding to the pitch (height increase) with doors and windows instead of an up and over door do you need permissions to do it or does it fall under permitted development?
I don't know, and frankly don't care. Because of the narrowness of the driveway as it passes the house, you can' get a car to it (the house was built in '60, and an Austin A35 was a bit smaller than a modern Fiesta, never mind my XC90). One previous owner already built a secord garage, although I still can't get the '90 in that.

Im only adding 2 or 3cm to the pitch, and with the reduced thickness of the materials I doubt the differene would even be neasurable.

So I don't need it, and don't especially want it, but its there so I really ought to do something. My BiL is a civil engineer for a neighbouring carncil and has some knowledge of such matters, and thinks I have no issue as its main use will still be general storage, so I shall proceed on that basis - in the event it should ever be a problem I will take a very big hammer to it and down it'll simply come down. I've no excitement or need to do any of this, and if aliens acooped it up and carted it off overnight id be right happy.

However, its an eyesore and possily even dangerous with the roof on the verge of collapes, so it needs repair or demolishing and i care not which really. Im only going for repair as the space would be handy (but not essential) and the materials to do so are about half the price of the skips required to cart all the demolished bricks away. If the repair should cause any official objection then the whole thing will be down by nightfall the following day.

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
A gym isnt a habitable space.........

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
In any case, if it came to it I could roll ome or both o my motorbikes into it and claim it is still in use as a garage!

The carncil will never know. Its visible only to one set of neighbours, and it was they who offered me the door and windows for the project in the first place, so the carncil have no way of even knowing...unless you lot grass me up!

Top Bottom