Garage refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Drago which I have absolutely no interest in doing! I’m considering making my shed into such a space so I can turbo in there and possibly work in there in the summer.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
@Drago which I have absolutely no interest in doing! I’m considering making my shed into such a space so I can turbo in there and possibly work in there in the summer.
And you can with your shed......mine is a training room for the turbo and i have full internet access, power, tv and a computer. I could work in there no problem at all without any issues from the council

GM

Legendary Member
Well, garage number 2 has been knackered since we moved in 12 years ago. Shame on me.

Time to re roof it and move my gym out there. I've crowbarred off the nacked door and started to clear out the crud. No massive hurry at this point as I'm still awaiting a delivery date for the roofing materials - once the date is confirmed I'll hire a skip and start clearing the sheet away.

View attachment 583805
The eagle eyed will spot my secret weapon. My neighbours had a new conservatory built and I was ablemto nab a door, two windows, and associated frames etc, as well as a few long lengths of the UPVC from trimming. Very pleaded with thar, and it should make for a tidy and weatherproof facade when its all in.

That's a bit how my one looked...

Started a re-furb in September, was going well until I was diagnosed with a hernia in November so progress stopped until the beginning of February when wifey complained quite rightly about bikes in the dining room, bedroom and garden shed as well as all the other junk you keep in a garage. Had a little go very gently each day to carry on until I finished it 3 weeks ago. Still got hernia unfortunately, here's it finished....

Good luck with yours Drago!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Serious Q for a moment as your converting into a habitable space (gym) and adding to the pitch (height increase) with doors and windows instead of an up and over door do you need permissions to do it or does it fall under permitted development?
Isn't Drago 6'4" and 19 stone and an ex copper? I think he can do what he likes and it would be a brave neighbour who Dobbs him in :laugh:

on a more serious note you can extend your house something like 15% volume under permitted development (might be even more nowadays). this is a detached garage, so effectively a brick shed. it would have to have water and waste services to be classed as dwelling in any event

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
That's a bit how my one looked...

View attachment 583928

Started a re-furb in September, was going well until I was diagnosed with a hernia in November so progress stopped until the beginning of February when wifey complained quite rightly about bikes in the dining room, bedroom and garden shed as well as all the other junk you keep in a garage. Had a little go very gently each day to carry on until I finished it 3 weeks ago. Still got hernia unfortunately, here's it finished....

View attachment 583931

Good luck with yours Drago!
Thats fantastic! Edifer speakers I see (amateur musician and home sound engineer - I went with Presonus in the end as I needed reference speakers).

I won't be doing anything with the walls other than wire brushing them and repainting - proper gyms are supposed to feel a little like a dungeon, after all.

I will be putting in a ceiling and insulation, and I've been eyeballing some floor covering in Costco that looks very like the stuff you've used.

Believe it or not, my garage hasnproper electrics and even a fusebox and distribution unit, so I'll be adding decent lighting and power points to power my choons - a workout isn't a workout without Rammstein cranked up to 11.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Easy, we don't want Drago going all Colin Furze on us.
*ponders*
Actually, maybe we do. He's a distance away from me, so I might hear the bang but should avoid the debris field / fallout.

spen666

Legendary Member
Started a re-furb in September, was going well until I was diagnosed with a hernia in November so progress stopped until the beginning of February when wifey complained quite rightly about bikes in the dining room, bedroom and garden shed as well as all the other junk you keep in a garage

What is this nonsense?

Of course bikes deserve to be in all those rooms. The only issue is why not also bikes in the other rooms

• Laugh
Reactions: GM

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Make sure those walls are shored up or they won't take a Rick Wakeman keyboard solo whacked up to 11 on Planet Rock!!

battered

Guru
Serious Q for a moment as your converting into a habitable space (gym) and adding to the pitch (height increase) with doors and windows instead of an up and over door do you need permissions to do it or does it fall under permitted development?
It's not a habitable space. No water, no drainage. I could put a bed in my shed and sleep in it, but it doesn't make it a dwelling. The height change might be an issue though.

Top Bottom