Garden Waste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Does your local authority collect it for free?? do you take it yourself to the dump?? or do you pay to have it removed as part of your gardening service??

if the latter, why??

winjim

Smash the cistern
About fifty quid a year for fortnightly green bin collection by the council / Veolia between March and October. I think that's high compared to some parts of the country but it is what it is.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
About fifty quid a year for fortnightly green bin collection by the council / Veolia between March and October. I think that's high compared to some parts of the country but it is what it is.
Think ours is a similar price for year round fortnightly collections, although it's been suspended for months due to "HGV driver shortgage"

Alex321

Veteran
Ours collects it for free. Between the start of March and end of November, they automatically collect once a fortnight (alternating with black bags). December - February you have to phone if you need any collecting.

We are given several green canvas (plastic) sacks which we put out on the kerb and they are emptied. Anything too big to fit in those (such as tree branches), you have to take to the council recycling centre yourself.

Alex321

Veteran
Think ours is a similar price for year round fortnightly collections, although it's been suspended for months due to "HGV driver shortgage"
They never suspended ours, but they were late quite often for the same reason. Our collection day is Friday, and several times it was Saturday or Sunday before they came, with just once missing a collection entirely.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Ours missed a few but they tag them on to the end of the season to make up for it. It's not much use to us in the middle of November though.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
We have the brown bin collection once a fortnight but it knocks a lot. Have a bonfire if you have a lot of stuff, but tell the neighbours first and do it in the evening.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I compost all the green and household waste along with paper and cardboard that I can. Why throw away free natural compost, nutrients and soil conditioner?

Twigs, branches etc. are dried, logged and stored for kindling and firewood.

Uncompostable and unusable waste, that is takes more than a year to break down, such as prunings, herbaceous stalks and stems go in the green bin. It's £35pa for local authority collection.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Green waste all year round, but it includes food scraps - should be no food waste in the black bins. All free (well Council Tax).

Garden waste is generally composted. I've got a branch muncher, that turns branches into chippings, so we will re-use those in the garden. Grass cuttings go in the compost. Weeds, and laurel cuttings go in the green bin for re-cycling.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

We have the brown bin collection once a fortnight but it knocks a lot. Have a bonfire if you have a lot of stuff, but tell the neighbours first and do it in the evening.
we get ours collected for free.......

my query was due to someone paying for garden work, trim bushes, trim some over hanging branches from neighbours garden and cut the grass and then on top pay for the removal of said garden waste.....so in all it cost £180 for 4hrs ( 1 person )........£45 an hour, to which they said was a bargain

PaulSB

Legendary Member
we get ours collected for free.......

my query was due to someone paying for garden work, trim bushes, trim some over hanging branches from neighbours garden and cut the grass and then on top pay for the removal of said garden waste.....so in all it cost £180 for 4hrs ( 1 person )........£45 an hour, to which they said was a bargain
Sounds reasonable to me if the person carrying out the work was a true professional. I see a lot of "gardeners" around and would question their knowledge.

Commercial waste disposal is far more expensive than household waste even if it comes from the same garden.

winjim

Smash the cistern
If it's a tradesperson I'd expect waste removal to be part of the service and it not to be particularly cheaper for them to leave it. They might want to feel like they've done a professional job and leave it tidy. If it's big stuff like branches they'll be able to just lob it in the back of the van but to get it in a green bin it might need to be broken down. We had to hire a woodchipper when we cut our hedge back and it took several trips to the tip plus a couple of months worth of green bins to finally get rid of it all.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

If it's a tradesperson I'd expect waste removal to be part of the service and it not to be particularly cheaper for them to leave it. They might want to feel like they've done a professional job and leave it tidy. If it's big stuff like branches they'll be able to just lob it in the back of the van but to get it in a green bin it might need to be broken down. We had to hire a woodchipper when we cut our hedge back and it took several trips to the tip plus a couple of months worth of green bins to finally get rid of it all.
personally - i would get a quote without removal and break it all down myself and save a chunk of money......one thing i aint paying for is something to be removed, that i already pay for in my council tax.....

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Sounds reasonable to me if the person carrying out the work was a true professional. I see a lot of "gardeners" around and would question their knowledge.

Commercial waste disposal is far more expensive than household waste even if it comes from the same garden.
which is why i wouldnt pay for the removal......would break it all down and get the council to remove it, as part of my council tax service

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
personally - i would get a quote without removal and break it all down myself and save a chunk of money......one thing i aint paying for is something to be removed, that i already pay for in my council tax.....

They could easily break it down over a couple of 'green waste' collections. £45 an hour for gardening is steep. £25 max ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom