Gardeners, bush advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
No berries but Gunnera Manicata is like a giant rhubarb and looks amazing.

View attachment 383647
Came across some of those when I was down in Cornwall earlier this year...

upload_2017-11-18_14-41-32.png

Wondered what they were...

PaulSB

Legendary Member
No berries but Gunnera Manicata is like a giant rhubarb and looks amazing.

View attachment 383647

It’s a great plant but you need a soil which is always moist and has plenty of organic matter. It will also need to be relatively sheltered from cold winds.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
phormium-tenax-purpurea.jpg
The Calicarpa is a good shout, the berry colour is cool and unusual plus it’s a fast growing plant if you need to fill the space quickly.

My suggestion would be Phormium; tough, architectural, interesting leaf shape, year round colour, easy to grow. The three varieties you are most likely to find are P. tenacity “Sundowner”, “Maori Queen” and “Variegatum” though there are plenty of other colour forms. The purpureum types are very robust.

If you keep your eyes open you can sometimes buy very large plants at reasonable prices - something of the size pictured

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Make sure it isn't exposed to cold winds.
If you're planting it in the next few weeks and the winter turns cold, give it some protection like horticultural fleece as they can be a bit feeble in cold winters.
It is fairly shielded by tall fencing. I think winter is going to be harsh though.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't wish to be controversial but buddleia and hebes are two of my least favourite shrubs.
Buddleia is virtually a weed and hebes are boring, civic planting.
Others may will disagree!

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Off topic but I bought one of those trees that the Ozzy bears like to live in. It looks amazing. Is it irresponsible to have them in the ground though?

Top Bottom