Gardeners, bush advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
What about a hardy palm tree?
Trachycarpus fortunei or trachycarpus wageneirius.
I have both, lovely palms and a wee bit different :smile:
Wee pic of the fortunei
874E7F48-7EFE-47DF-91F4-9C660C3E6D01.jpeg

Tin Pot

Guru
My favourite plant in the garden is my cotoneaster, humming with wood bees for months.

IMG_9391.JPG

I've got something similar in the front which has lovely autumn colours right now:

IMG_9449.JPG

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Off topic but I bought one of those trees that the Ozzy bears like to live in. It looks amazing. Is it irresponsible to have them in the ground though?

Eucalyptus- if you keep it under 10' it will produce small, rounded leaves that florists love , but if you let it get beyond that then the leaves get elongated, as does the tree. It will get massive too, and ugly, all peeling bark and all. The do take a hard prune.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I’m late to the party, but for something unusual, how about a Russian Ironwood? Only wood denser than water (sinks) and it is stupendously beautiful in autumn.

I spend a lot of time sorting out eucalyptus as their top growth out matches their root growth so they either constantly need restaking or they have fallen over onto whatever it is on the ground your insurance company won’t cover you for.

Ceanothus rots off at the base easily so you need well drained soil.

Gunnera? Do you have a duck pond in the first instance?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've thought of another shrub I like... cistus. Though they don't like the cold and wet, and it is possible to loose it over a winter.... this autumn I noticed one of mine was looking a little sad so I've taken some precautionary cuttings.
IMG_8170.JPG
IMG_8171.JPG

There are a few different ones in that pot.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I've thought of another shrub I like... cistus. Though they don't like the cold and wet, and it is possible to loose it over a winter.... this autumn I noticed one of mine was looking a little sad so I've taken some precautionary cuttings.
View attachment 383722 View attachment 383723

There are a few different ones in that pot.
The scent from a Cistus on a warm sunny day is just the best! Instantly I'm riding to Formentor in Mallorca when I smell it!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Eucalyptus- if you keep it under 10' it will produce small, rounded leaves that florists love , but if you let it get beyond that then the leaves get elongated, as does the tree. It will get massive too, and ugly, all peeling bark and all. The do take a hard prune.
They can be bad for subsidence too as they suck all the water from the soil. They are used to very dry souls.

pawl

Legendary Member
I have a Japanese Maple.Its main display is in the autumn when the leafs turn a brilliant red.

Mine is in a large tub and currently six feet tall.Ibought it as cheepo fromAldi They do need to be in a fairly sheltered position as they don’t like strong drying winds that can desiccate the leaves Mine is in semi shade
Feed with an organic fertiliser once a month and water daily during spring and summer
One advantage is the don’t need excessive pruning other than alight trim if you feel they are getting to tall of out growing their allotted space.

Top Bottom