Gardeners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Thread resurrection

Hamamelis Diane looking good today

62F2D708-163F-4497-A6F0-5B6896938B00.jpeg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I dug a 3m x 3m veg patch over, in the autumn, to clear weeds, old raspberries out, and to get rid of (:laugh:) the bindweed.

Since then some common weeds have germinated from dormant seeds, I guess. I'm not sure whether to hoe them, painstakingly dig them out or wait till they're slightly bigger and poison them.
Any ideas? I know using a weedkiller is anathema to some.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I dug a 3m x 3m veg patch over, in the autumn, to clear weeds, old raspberries out, and to get rid of (:laugh:) the bindweed.

Since then some common weeds have germinated from dormant seeds, I guess. I'm not sure whether to hoe them, painstakingly dig them out or wait till they're slightly bigger and poison them.
Dig them out!

Weed killer - just say no!

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Dig out. Remove as much soils a possible to return to bed. Cut perennial weed at top across roots and compost before returning to bed.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5543343, member: 9609"]Whats the biggest Leylandii that is practical to plant now ? (i mean in Feb - not at half past the eleven in the pm)[/QUOTE]

Can we get an idea of what you need to achieve? A 10-12 foot plant is easily established but success will be governed by location, aspect, number of plants, soil type etc.

More info please.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5543343, member: 9609"]Whats the biggest Leylandii that is practical to plant now ? (i mean in Feb - not at half past the eleven in the pm)[/QUOTE]

Any.

https://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/leylandii-hedging-plants-cupressocyparis-leylandii.html#aLEY

Just add water. The bigger the tree, the bigger the initial support, and what ^ he said

PK99

Legendary Member

Any time of the year. Any size.

A quick search gives:

https://evergreenhedging.com/hedging-store/leylandii-2/leylandii-green-15ft.html/

as the largest readily available.

But my advice for, say, a 2ft leylandii would be to dig a 3ft deep hole, place the plant in the bottom and back fill.

I've planted 4m leylandii for clients, each of whom had:
a) a very specific location and need
b) the cash to afford annual professional clipping and height restriction (largest leylandii in the UK is 130ft plus and still growing, no one knows the full mature height of Leylandii as they are a new clone.

You may gather I'm not a fan. For every appropriate leylandii I have seen, I could count 100 inappropriate plantings.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Dig out. Remove as much soils a possible to return to bed. Cut perennial weed at top across roots and compost before returning to bed.
They're so tiny but prolific it would be tricky to dig them out. That's what I did with the original mess. I've hoed twice now in the last month

PK99

Legendary Member

To irradicate bindweed from a 3m by 3m plot without using weedkiller:

1. Dig out whole plot to a depth of 1m, and remove spoil from site, being careful not to spill ANY.

2. Ship in new soil

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5543629, member: 9609"]@PaulB , @PK99, @Dave 123
may be I will come to this question from another angle.

I don't want to be able to see this greenhouse, and I don't want to be able to see it pretty soon.
the ground just in front of the fence has been a horrible waterlogged bit of garden, however I have double dug it (breaking through the compact layer), I have added a deep sinkaway into the middle, and I have then raised it by about 8 inches. Difficult to tell if this has been a success as we havn't had any rain tis winter.:wacko:

Yes I agree Leylandii is completely the wrong plant, but I would quite like a 10 foot high screen there in the next year.

Any suggestions
View attachment 453733 [/QUOTE]

The mistake that most amateur gardeners make is trying to hide something by putting something else in front of it. Result is often replacing one eyesore with another.

The professional approach is distraction.

What you have at the moment is lots of relatively neutral foreground that the eye slips over to the fence and up to the shed and greenhouse. When the rockery plants are in flower the shed and green house will be much less prominent than they currently are.

What to do about the current view (now and for future seasons)?

In the Right hand corner you have a moss covered stone bench with a nondescript pot sitting on it. Replace that pot with a feature pot of some considerable size to pull the eye in that direction.

Plus don't plant in front of the shed/greenhouse to hide them, instead plant something attractive to stop the eye. Not knowing the details of aspect, soil type or ground conditions, it is difficult to be definitive in recommendation, but in terms of function it looks ideal for a multi stem birch (Betula jacquemontii) planted centrally on the shown view of the shed.

Plus clean moss/algae off the fence and halfway between pot and Betula plant an evergreen flowering wall shrub - Cotoneaster horizontalis would be ideal.

Reivir garden.jpg

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My daughter needs to disguise an unsightly wall in her back courtyard garden space. It's narrow and paved and gets little sunlight. Ideally evergreen.
2 mt high by 2 mt wide and it will be planted in troughs.
Any suggestions? I suggested bamboo. The black stemmed ones are quite attractive .

Top Bottom