Gardeners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My daughter needs to disguise an unsightly wall in her back courtyard garden space. It's narrow and paved and gets little sunlight. Ideally evergreen.
2 mt high by 2 mt wide and it will be planted in troughs.
Any suggestions? I suggested bamboo. The black stemmed ones are quite attractive .

Yer bamboo might well need more light.
How about Chaenomeles, ornamental quince?
They’ll take shade, can be trained tight to the wall, provide winter flower and are very unfussy.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=chaenomeles&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@User9609

To flesh out @PK99 ’s suggestions I’d add some nice dogwoods as under planting. They’ll take it if it does get wet again and will provide summer foliage and winter stem interest to compliment the Betula (which is a great suggestion) ((It’s my go to tree of choice))

Cornus Alba
Cornus stolonifera flaviramea
Cornus midwinter fire

Have a google....

PK99

Legendary Member
@User9609

To flesh out @PK99 ’s suggestions I’d add some nice dogwoods as under planting. They’ll take it if it does get wet again and will provide summer foliage and winter stem interest to compliment the Betula (which is a great suggestion) ((It’s my go to tree of choice))

Cornus Alba
Cornus stolonifera flaviramea
Cornus midwinter fire

Have a google....

good call!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
74D2837F-090C-4400-9278-41A08EF109F1.jpeg
2C6A5211-5BF3-46B9-8648-BE77982298B0.jpeg
B6A95D48-70E7-4949-9E1B-58BC2666E7DC.jpeg
9277CA3F-9398-4810-9D93-F7D4E7E98719.jpeg
6ECA177B-744B-4D35-9D73-AEE23FCEE086.jpeg
B7B221D7-0D62-4712-91D5-A6F8E7BC864D.jpeg
The view in the propagator.....

And some Streptocarpus cuttings that were evicted to make way for my chilli seedlings.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
View attachment 454611 View attachment 454612 View attachment 454613 View attachment 454615 View attachment 454616 View attachment 454617 The view in the propagator.....

And some Streptocarpus cuttings that were evicted to make way for my chilli seedlings.
Is the propagator heated? I'm having to make do with unheated in the house (south-facing window and near radiator) and only half my seeds have germinated (carrots, mint, basil, tomatoes). I'm thinking of starting my sweet peppers soon too or maybe delay a couple of weeks (they're not meant to be sown until April but I want to get an early crop as I'm growing for food). Once my seedlings are strong enough I'll transplant to unheated greenhouse.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Is the propagator heated? I'm having to make do with unheated in the house (south-facing window and near radiator) and only half my seeds have germinated (carrots, mint, basil, tomatoes). I'm thinking of starting my sweet peppers soon too or maybe delay a couple of weeks (they're not meant to be sown until April but I want to get an early crop as I'm growing for food). Once my seedlings are strong enough I'll transplant to unheated greenhouse.

Heated. I have a soil warming cable in the sand

image.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Question---I have found some Daffodil and Tulip bulbs in the shed, can I plant them now knowing that they will not flower this year, or keep them and plant them in the autumn as usual?

Jody

Stubborn git
Made a start on my chillies in the last few weeks. The orange Scotch bonnets have only had a 10% germination rate so a little disappointed with them. Although the company I bought them off have a 70% germination promise so hopefully get them changed for some annums as time is ticking.

20190225_165606.jpg 20190225_201738.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Made a start on my chillies in the last few weeks. The orange Scotch bonnets have only had a 10% germination rate so a little disappointed with them. Although the company I bought them off have a 70% germination promise so hopefully get them changed for some annums as time is ticking.

View attachment 454788 View attachment 454790

These people will sell you some a bit different. I'm contemplating getting a couple myself.

Top Bottom