Gardening question - moss in lawn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
The lawn has moss in it which is gradually getting worse each year.

A couple of times each year I put down moss-killer and rake the dead moss out, and reseed any bare patches. But by the end of the following winter the moss is back with a vengeance.

Over the last weekend I gave the lawn it's first cut and raked out some of the moss. I'll hold off for a few weeks before applying any moss killer, but the amount of moss this year means I will have some massive bare patches to deal with. I estimate the lawn is around 40% moss and 60% grass.

So my question is, at what point do I call it a day and get the lawn relaid?

TIA

alicat

Legendary Member
If you don't treat the underlying problem, then it will come back eventually. I'm adopting the approach that it is green and looks okay from a distance.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If you don't treat the underlying problem, then it will come back eventually. I'm adopting the approach that it is green and looks okay from a distance.

I too have adopted this approach, 1000m2 of grass at work and a No chemicles allowed policy, sod the grass then, its ok as its easily mown.

OP
OP
Slioch

Slioch

Guru

I've had the same approach over the last 10 years or so, but I'm starting to reach a tipping point now. The problem is the moss is a brighter green colour than the rest of the grass. If it was all the same colour, I'd just pretend it wasn't happening.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Fertilise the grass as well as treating the moss.

:scratch:I have always wondered why your grass looks so much better than mine! ^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Treat it regular during the summer months (weed feed moss killer) - got to do mine again shortly. Front garden has a big patch of it now (not had any previously) as it's usually just the side garden, near the laurels (not so much direct sun)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use that Evergreen 4 in 1 stuff, so it fertilises as well.

My lawn doesn't look anything like the pictures on the packaging. Do I have sufficient grounds to sue?

I get fairly good results with the Evergreen stuff (certainly not like the packet) but lush and weed free.

slowwww

Veteran
Yes, mine is worse than usual this year. I have some large oak trees at the bottom of the garden that limits the light that the lawn there gets and so this usually suffers from moss, but the lawn near the house has it too for the first time.

I also usually use Evergreen 4 in 1 but as this no longer seems to be keeping the moss at bay and so assume that either the moss-growing conditions have been more favourable this autumn/winter or the moss I have is becoming resistant to this.

I've just treated it with Viano MoBacter bacteriological moss-digester that is recommended by the RHS and hope that this alternative treatment does the job. I'll keep you posted.

Top Bottom