Gardening question - moss in lawn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Evergreen is okay for maintaining a lawn but for your issue I would scarify the lawn to reduce the moss and re-seed.

This example turns into a bit of a sales pitch but he explains it fairly well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=law...ung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1

gbb

Legendary Member
As we are on the borders of the brick pits (therefore on the edge of massive clay deposits), our grass has always suffered.
Tried aerating with a fork...probably not often enough to make any difference, my failure.
Relaid the lawn maybe 4 years ago, its as bad now, if not worse.

As said up post, if you don't treat the cause.....

I've considered digging down several feet and creating a soakaway with gravel...but the clay could be 10 ft deep, i just don't know.

So i've adopted the approach of its green, so that'll have to do. I'm not a gardener so am not a shining example or really have any substantial advice to offer :laugh:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
All of the lawns I look after have moss. This time of year it just appears worse as the broad leaved varieties of grass are dormant. The moss is simply dominant now until the grass takes over in spring/early summer. There is only one lawn I work that gets treated with chemicals by a franchised contractor. All that means is, once a year the lawns have massive bare patches in it because he has killed the moss and often areas of lawn. The moss comes back without fail.

Also worth knowing: Males over a certain age suddenly become very anal about their lawns. If you admit to this publicly, you are admitting to the onset of old age. I recommend a more candid approach. Lawn is the biggest conspiracy in the history of gardening in the western world. Live with that simple fact and you will have a happier life.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
When do you think I should cut my conspiracy?

tallbikes

Regular
I'd say try this

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-04-13-56-18.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-04-13-56-18.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 24

bonker

Guru
Not wishing to reveal my age...
scarify it ( raking or electrtc rake) regularly 3 or 4 time a year min.
Hollow tine it, put in loads of sharp sand every few years.
Use a once a year selective weedkiller.

When it's freshly sanded it's great but after a couple of years the moss will be back and you'll have to do it again.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Not wishing to reveal my age...
scarify it ( raking or electrtc rake) regularly 3 or 4 time a year min.
Hollow tine it, put in loads of sharp sand every few years.
Use a once a year selective weedkiller.

When it's freshly sanded it's great but after a couple of years the moss will be back and you'll have to do it again.

I think it is the sand that makes the difference. Increasing airflow and improving drainage will allow the grass to naturally out compete the moss. Filling in the new drainage holes with sand will keep everything better draining for much longer.

Top Bottom