Garmin 510 shut down during a charity ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As my Garmin 510 shut down during a charity ride and despite me switching it back on immediately, I ended up with half saved route and segments for it had "failed" to record the first half!! :angry:

Would it be possible to manually add the first part of my route and missing segments on Garmin or Strava?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Alan O

Über Member
As my Garmin 510 shut down during a charity ride and despite me switching it back on immediately, I ended up with half saved route and segments for it had "failed" to record the first half!! :angry:

Would it be possible to manually add the first part of my route and missing segments on Garmin or Strava?

You can add separate activities on Strava to make up for missing miles, but I don't know of any way to integrate them into the ride itself.

Garmins are renowned for this type of thing. I use one, and it’s a nightmare for continually trying to shut down, despite having the ‘auto shut down’ feature set to ‘never’. I’ve just completed a 3 day, 250 mile challenge ride, and I had to keep a close eye on the screen, when I heard it beep, in case it was trying to shut down. I’m getting a Bolt Elemnt as soon as I can.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You can add separate activities on Strava to make up for missing miles, but I don't know of any way to integrate them into the ride itself.

If you've got both parts of the ride recorded, it's easy enough to combine them into one file.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the OP has lost the first part of the ride, so they're never going to get that back.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

If its anything like the 500, I don't think so.
Last year I tried to add miles to a route following the battery dying on me part way through a ride. It seemed to cause all sorts of problems on the "Activities" screen and when exporting to a CSV file. I eventually ended up binning the ride and entered it manually with what data I could piece together. So now if it happens, or if I forget to "start ride", it is more often than not, just basic data of mileage and date recorded as a separate ride.

mangid

Guru
My Garmin 1000 had a tendency to shut down mid ride. I took it to bits and found some corrosion near one of the screw holes, bottom right corner when viewed from behind. Careful examination revealed a small crack in the post the screw went into, ice damage, or maybe from a drop? I carefully removed the corrosion, put waterproof grease into all the post holes, put it back together, more grease in screw holes, and then put electrical tape over all the screw holes. Touch wood it's not shut down since.

Since then the plastic/rubber over the power switch has failed and is also taped over.

I do have an issue with charging over USB from computers, from time to time it gets it's knickers in a twist and won't start recording a ride, indicated by distance not going up. Hitting stop then says I've done a ridiculous number, 26834 or something like that, and the ride can't be deleted or saved. Have to do a hard reset. Annoying if I don't notice at the start of a ride, irritating if I notice at the start as it means waiting for the reboot and GPS acquire.

Given the battery is on its last legs, I get about 7 hours out of it which is close to some rides I do, I suspect I'm going to replace with a Wahoo next time round, it is painfully unreliable. Although I was riding with somebody the other day and their Wahoo stopped recording mid ride....

Johnno260

Veteran
only time I had issues like this is when I had an update pending, I turn the thing on 10mins before a ride to avoid it happening.

I'm not sure if you can manually add segments to a completed ride.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have Garmin 520 and it auto shuts down after whatever the default time is. Panicked on first occasion it happened, but it allows you to resume without issue. Has done so on many an ocassion since and battery life is therefore improved as a result.

Clearly this was an issue on earlier models by the sounds of it.

OP
OP
Tazmanian Devil

Tazmanian Devil

Regular
I have Garmin 520 and it auto shuts down after whatever the default time is. Panicked on first occasion it happened, but it allows you to resume without issue. Has done so on many an ocassion since and battery life is therefore improved as a result.

Clearly this was an issue on earlier models by the sounds of it.

Yes that is what happened to me and I was able to resume but this time it hadn't recorded the segments for the first half of the route but did record the full mileage and time I did. Weird!

OP
OP
Tazmanian Devil

Tazmanian Devil

Regular
I know this is of no use at all, but if you use RideWithGPS there's a feature for you to enter a route and then create an activity from it. This is for the possibility that you forget/fail to record an activity and want to track your mileage. But as the OP uses Strava it's not much use.

What does OP stands for? Thanks

bpsmith

Veteran
Yes that is what happened to me and I was able to resume but this time it hadn't recorded the segments for the first half of the route but did record the full mileage and time I did. Weird!
It is plenty weird, as the segments are on Strava rather than the device. My guess is that the individual points haven’t saved but the mileage total managed to save somehow. Strange one.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
it hadn't recorded the segments for the first half of the route but did record the full mileage and time I did. Weird!

That's not quite true.

Convert the .fit file to .csv (there are resources online to do this) and open it in Excel or Google docs.

What you'll find is that the file consists of a series of GPS trackpoints, each with a time stamp and a cumulative distance.

You would expect the first entry in the log to show 0 for cumulative distance and time, but in fact it will show the last recorded figures before the device crashed, even though it has lost all the trackpoints prior to that moment. That is why it shows the 'correct' mileage and time for your ride.

Occasionally, I have restarted my 510 after a shutdown and found that it has retained the GPS track, but it seems to be pot luck whether it does or not.

Fortunately, it doesn't happen often - although a lot of people complain about Garmin performance, I have found my 510 to be very reliable over the four years I've had it.

There are things you can do to help prevent these problems, eg clear out the memory regularly - delete old rides (once you have downloaded them, of course). Also helps to make sure any course files you upload are as small as possible - routes created in Garmin Connect, RideWithGPS and Strava have a habit of generating hugely bloated files that can cause problems for your device. Again, there are resources online you can use to reduce GPX file sizes (eg bikehike.co.uk).

OP
OP
Tazmanian Devil

Tazmanian Devil

Regular
That's not quite true.

Convert the .fit file to .csv (there are resources online to do this) and open it in Excel or Google docs.

What you'll find is that the file consists of a series of GPS trackpoints, each with a time stamp and a cumulative distance.

You would expect the first entry in the log to show 0 for cumulative distance and time, but in fact it will show the last recorded figures before the device crashed, even though it has lost all the trackpoints prior to that moment. That is why it shows the 'correct' mileage and time for your ride.

Occasionally, I have restarted my 510 after a shutdown and found that it has retained the GPS track, but it seems to be pot luck whether it does or not.

Fortunately, it doesn't happen often - although a lot of people complain about Garmin performance, I have found my 510 to be very reliable over the four years I've had it.

There are things you can do to help prevent these problems, eg clear out the memory regularly - delete old rides (once you have downloaded them, of course). Also helps to make sure any course files you upload are as small as possible - routes created in Garmin Connect, RideWithGPS and Strava have a habit of generating hugely bloated files that can cause problems for your device. Again, there are resources online you can use to reduce GPX file sizes (eg bikehike.co.uk).

Thanks for your advice, Smutchin and I will do that should it happen again.

I do regularly clear out the memory including old rides and maps.

I hadn't realised that routes created in Garmin Connect, RideWithGPS and Strava have a habit of generating hugely bloated files and I do use RideWithGPS when creating new route maps for our rides. I will have a look at bikehike.co.uk, thanks.

Top Bottom