Garmin 520 Edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The 520 has a lot of training features, if you have a power meter you get quite a lot of data. As said by others it is customisable. The mapping is limited unless you upload maps for the area you are cycling in. The basic standard maps are better though than the breadcrumb trail you follow with a 200, basically it only shows major roads though.

huggy

I can't personally recommend it yet as it's on it's way and I won't be allowed to play with it till Santa has been. But I've gone for a Wahoo Elemnt for its reported ease of use.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I got one, I love it.... though I probably dont use even half the features on it. I dont care about strava. but I am interested in my overall progress over time to see if i am getting faster/fitter, Sadly it doesnt have a MicroSD card slot and the space on it is very limited so you cant have a big map on it. It will however point you in the direction youre supposed to go but not turn by turn navigation. This feature proved helpful when i was on the DD ride with no map and too lazy to stop every 30mins to get my phone out to check google maps.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
The main thing I like about Strava is seeing self improvement on my routes, I am not overly concerned by others times, it's just nice to see I am improving is all.

I know other reasons can effect times, wind and weather, road conditions etc, first thing I do is check my times on the phone when I get back, I used to compete a lot when I did TaeKwon-Do, these days I am too old/injured for that, so I ride to compete against myself.

Oxo

Guru
The main thing I like about Strava is seeing self improvement on my routes, I am not overly concerned by others times, it's just nice to see I am improving is all.

I know other reasons can effect times, wind and weather, road conditions etc, first thing I do is check my times on the phone when I get back, I used to compete a lot when I did TaeKwon-Do, these days I am too old/injured for that, so I ride to compete against myself.

My problem with the competing against myself thing is that I invariably lose.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
My problem with the competing against myself thing is that I invariably lose.

HAHA oh yes I feel the same at the mo, I need to keep reminding myself I am getting used to a new bike, and the roads are slick at the moment so you need to slow down.

It's sad how pleased I get when I see a PB next to a segment! lol

Well off to speak to the LBS need to pick the bike up from it's 6 week checkup and I am going to try and bribe the owner for a cheaper 520 using beer!

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I couldn't get the LBS to budge, I went to Halfords and my BC memberships is 1/2 way warranted after one spend!

Cheers for the advise everyone, I don't have the 520 yet, pick up on Friday, I assume I get the stem and front mount in the box? I have heard the standard front mount makes the front buttons a pig to get at, is there such thing as an extended front mount?

I had one for a bit, the novelty wore off as my performance plateaued. Uploading rides became a bit self-serving and didn't add anything to my riding. I didn't need the GPS as I was doing the same route day in day out on my commute, the only exceptions were rides out with the local club, but I would never choose the route and just follow the pack, so it was just a really expensive speedometer for me. A cheapo GPS tracker can do the same stuff that I needed it for, so I'd advise against the purchase.

If you really must, get one used in good condition and keep it that way, then if you tire of it, just sell for the same price (or more as in my case!) and it need not cost you a penny in the long run. New in box is overrated. If you buy used, you can usually get all the extra's bundled at little extra cost on ebay auctions.

Last edited:

heliphil

Guru
You can get quite a large map area on - I have Essex, Cornwall and around Bath - make sure you remove the previous map first before uploading the new one

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I had one for a bit, the novelty wore off as my performance plateaued. Uploading rides became a bit self-serving and didn't add anything to my riding. I didn't need the GPS as I was doing the same route day in day out on my commute, the only exceptions were rides out with the local club, but I would never choose the route and just follow the pack, so it was just a really expensive speedometer for me. A cheapo GPS tracker can do the same stuff that I needed it for, so I'd advise against the purchase.

If you really must, get one used in good condition and keep it that way, then if you tire of it, just sell for the same price (or more as in my case!) and it need not cost you a penny in the long run. New in box is overrated. If you buy used, you can usually get all the extra's bundled at little extra cost on ebay auctions.

I checked Ebay and I pretty much got it for good 2nd hand prices.

I may get tired in the future, but I have a number of routes I take each week, I have my extreme climb route, a flatter fast route and a good mix one, but I am trying different places all the time, I am quite competitive with myself so I can see me trying to improve each time.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
With regards to the live segments, once you enable the Strava Prem trial and pair the Garmin and Strava is it just a case of hitting go on the device?

Or do I need to start the Strava app as well?

400bhp

Guru
I got one, I love it.... though I probably dont use even half the features on it. I dont care about strava. but I am interested in my overall progress over time to see if i am getting faster/fitter, Sadly it doesnt have a MicroSD card slot and the space on it is very limited so you cant have a big map on it. It will however point you in the direction youre supposed to go but not turn by turn navigation. This feature proved helpful when i was on the DD ride with no map and too lazy to stop every 30mins to get my phone out to check google maps.

You can do turn by turn. It's just a little bit of a faff.

Johnsop99

Veteran
With regards to the live segments, once you enable the Strava Prem trial and pair the Garmin and Strava is it just a case of hitting go on the device?

Or do I need to start the Strava app as well?
You do not need to start the app but you must select the segments you are interested in by starring them in Strava. Look up a previous ride on Strava and to the left of each segment is a grey star. Click on the star next to a segment and it will turn orange. Starred segments will be transferred to the garmin next time it is connected.
Strava will automatically star some of the more popular segments in your locality.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
You do not need to start the app but you must select the segments you are interested in by starring them in Strava. Look up a previous ride on Strava and to the left of each segment is a grey star. Click on the star next to a segment and it will turn orange. Starred segments will be transferred to the garmin next time it is connected.
Strava will automatically star some of the more popular segments in your locality.

Fantastic cheers mate, I really hope I am able to leave work early tomorrow to get a decent ride in.

Top Bottom