GARMIN 800: where to function

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
I tried this function recently when a change of plan was forced upon me, mapless, near Four Elms in Kent. The destination was set as Dorking, Surrey, to the West. I guessed at a distance of 30k.

After some time on quiet country roads Garmin directed me to the A25, a flat, busy road that would take me directly to Dorking. After a further 5k I was directed N, up into the N Downs via Tandridge Hil Lane (10% or so), traversed and then descended S to rejoin the A25 at Godstone! This diversion of about 4.5k and 110m vertical gain "saved" me about 1k on the flat A25. I then changed my destination and rode from memory.

This is not particularly a criticism of Garmin - the local road network offers few options. Cycle friendly routes exist but way to the S

Q1 can routing parameters be set? Such as "direct route", "no motorways or A roads"?

Q2 can one preview the proposed route?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
This is not particularly a criticism of Garmin - the local road network offers few options. Cycle friendly routes exist but way to the S

Q1 can routing parameters be set? Such as "direct route", "no motorways or A roads"?

Q2 can one preview the proposed route?
My recollection is that the routing options can be set, but you have to be careful if you use non-Garmin maps. For example, for OSM, the recommended settings are;

Menu > Wrench > Routing > Calculate Routes for = Bicycle
Guidance Method = On Road for Time
Lock on Road = No

Avoidance Setup Toll Roads, U-Turns…
U-Turns = Do Not Avoid
Toll Roads = Do Not Avoid (avoidance will route on bike routes only (“NOT available in the cycling activity modes!”), but this last point confuses me)
Highways = Do Not Avoid (cycleroutes and cycleways are the main highways)
Unpaved Roads = Avoid (no routing on tracks, steps and unpaved (foot) paths, except gravel bike path. Also roads paved with cobblestones are avoided.)
Carpool Lanes = Avoid (avoids unpaved roads, footways and steps)

Recalculate = Prompted

From memory, the route can be previewed by zooming out / scrolling the map around. It's not a great experience on the Garmin's screen, but is possible.

I've only used "Where To?" in France, and using OSM, but it worked ok for me.

robgul

Legendary Member
A bit of a sweeping statement, but a common view amongst the 50 or so Garmin users that I know : The routings that Garmins create for cycling are useless.

Even if you set all sorts of parameters as the previous post it always seems to fail miserably in terms of logic and reality. It's probably just a spin-off from the Garmin car navigation algorithms that drives it so ignores hills and/or roads unsuitable/desirable for cycling.

Rob

andrew_s

Legendary Member
For example, for OSM, the recommended settings are;
This will depend on where you got your OSM maps from. The routing for bikes is customised basically by telling lies about what the roads are, changing the categories when the Garmin map files are created from the OSM data downloads, but still using the car routing algorithms that are built in to the Garmin.
OpenFietsMap will be different from Talkytoaster will be different from the version of OSM that comes with your Garmin (etc).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
This will depend on where you got your OSM maps from. The routing for bikes is customised basically by telling lies about what the roads are, changing the categories when the Garmin map files are created from the OSM data downloads, but still using the car routing algorithms that are built in to the Garmin.
OpenFietsMap will be different from Talkytoaster will be different from the version of OSM that comes with your Garmin (etc).
Good point - those are the recommendations for the set I use.

gavintc

Guru
A bit of a sweeping statement, but a common view amongst the 50 or so Garmin users that I know : The routings that Garmins create for cycling are useless.

Even if you set all sorts of parameters as the previous post it always seems to fail miserably in terms of logic and reality. It's probably just a spin-off from the Garmin car navigation algorithms that drives it so ignores hills and/or roads unsuitable/desirable for cycling.

Rob
I completely agree. I have had a Garmin for a number of years. Having bought a 705 about 10 yrs ago and now the 810. The routing option must be used cautiously. If in 'unknown' territory chose a more local destination and hop from town to town to travel a distance. I now carry a small road map in my pocket if I am in new territory. Considering Garmin is a leading player in GPS, I am amazed they have not sorted out their cycle computer. I think the market is open for someone to develop and sell a product that works.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would never ask a computer to work out a cycle route for me. I know what I like and I don't want to spend the time trying to teach a fancy machine to understand that and come up with the same answers that I would.

GPS is great for following routes; human brains working with maps are better for creating those routes in the first place! :okay:

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
I have Garmin 1000 and have learnt the hard way that good planning is the only way to get the thing working well. A good gpx file preplanned is the only way to go

However when it works it is a dream. Winchester to Dover in two days recently solely following the Garmin

My Garmin is sulking - I only use the routing for very short distances is to a supermarket when I'm within 5km of my night stop - and then I tend to ignore it anyway as soon as I have seen where the supermarket is anyway - cue it doing "u turn as soon as possibble" and telling me it is 144km to destination

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Monkey John has opened my eyer. How do you elect which maps to use? Otherwise we mostly seem to have reached the same conclusion - that "where to" is not a v useful function

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have found that the Garmin routing options will get you there.....eventually. But not necessarily in the way you would expect it.

I have found it works much better if you can add way points about every 5km. Even if it is just a point on the road from the map.

You need to set yourself a short course as a tester and stick with it. Just to convince yourself that it does get you there eventually.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just to test this I added 8 waypoints for my 12km ride home today.

I had 2 faults.

Twice the Garmin tried to take me off a road onto small tracks which came back onto the same road further on. It was obvious which road to take.
Apart from that it worked fine.

Top Bottom