Garmin 820

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doobiesis

Über Member
Stupid question, but I bought a Garmin Edge 820 and cannot get it connected to my iPhone.

I’ve managed to add my Strava. Do I need to actually pair it with my phone?

Stupid question, but I bought a Garmin Edge 820 and cannot get it connected to my iPhone.

I’ve managed to add my Strava. Do I need to actually pair it with my phone?
I assume its the same as my 130 and 1000 it just another transfer data device, plugging it in to usb does the same thing so you don't need bluetooth. Coincidentally my 130 hardly ever talks by Bluetooth to my phone but it still records and transmits fine by usb. You get a few more features with bluetooth like text notification but you don't need them.

Johnno260

Veteran
If it’s like my 520, make sure you have Bluetooth turned on the phone.

I see these in my list I would imagine you would see something similar for the 820.

One is permission for text msgs etc to pop on the display, the other is for Strava etc.

Attachments

• E186F912-F2A3-4593-B2D5-EC0354CD1353.png
    E186F912-F2A3-4593-B2D5-EC0354CD1353.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 45

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Persevere. You don't "need" the phone but it is the main means for uploading your 820 to Garmin Connect and then Strava. I presume you have Connect installed on your phone?

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Persevere. You don't "need" the phone but it is the main means for uploading your 820 to Garmin Connect and then Strava. I presume you have Connect installed on your phone?

Yes I have installed connect. I have my Bluetooth on of course :smile: it does everything but then when it comes to the last download but it keeps failing.

I’ve tried taking the lot off and putting it back. But still nothing.

I was going to get the Wahoo but the Garmin has a better screen and functions. Albeit a bit temperamental!

Johnno260

Veteran
Yes I have installed connect. I have my Bluetooth on of course :smile: it does everything but then when it comes to the last download but it keeps failing.

I’ve tried taking the lot off and putting it back. But still nothing.

I was going to get the Wahoo but the Garmin has a better screen and functions. Albeit a bit temperamental!

Check Garmin status on their website, I had some issue the other week and they had some red lights.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Garmin isn’t down. I’ve been doing this since 6pm and am getting very annoyed. I heard Garmin were a nightmare but this is ridiculous

vickster

Legendary Member
Contact Garmin support, meant to be helpful. Maybe you have a duff unit

Or return and get the Wahoo

pawl

Legendary Member
I have the Garmin Edge 20 ,does everything i need.I tend to ride in areas I know well.so don’t need the all singing and dancing on the more tech loaded Garmin .If I do ride in an area unfamiliar to me I use the good old OS map.only errors you get are bad map reading by me.

Have had rhe 20 for just overa year .No probs,then again it hasn’t got all the gizmos of the upmarket modles

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Have managed it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If I had read the instructions I would have seen that I should have plugged it into the computer first! I’m my defence I was tired.

Hopefully no more issues :smile:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Have managed it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If I had read the instructions I would have seen that I should have plugged it into the computer first! I’m my defence I was tired.

Hopefully no more issues :smile:
Just out of interest, how is your phone battery life since installing the app. I am finding it's getting draining quickly lately and it's Garmin Connect that's causing it. I certainly wear a Forerunner on my wrist 24/7 so that may be the problem I suppose.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Just out of interest, how is your phone battery life since installing the app. I am finding it's getting draining quickly lately and it's Garmin Connect that's causing it. I certainly wear a Forerunner on my wrist 24/7 so that may be the problem I suppose.
I don’t need my phone as the 820 has built in GPS.

Top Bottom