Garmin 820

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I don’t need my phone as the 820 has built in GPS.
So you don't have the Garmin Connect app on your phone? I found that's what was running my phone battery down. Since deleted it and it's back to normal. My walking/running Garmin can download via wifi but I just have the Edge 520 for cycling which either has to sync via the phone app or connect to the pc via usb which I do now.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Yes I do have Garmin Connect but I don’t turn it on whilst cycling. Just when I get home.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
So you don't have the Garmin Connect app on your phone? I found that's what was running my phone battery down. Since deleted it and it's back to normal. My walking/running Garmin can download via wifi but I just have the Edge 520 for cycling which either has to sync via the phone app or connect to the pc via usb which I do now.

I run Connect, paired with an 810, on my Android phone. It seems to have negligible effect on battery and will happily run for 8 or 9 hours on a ride while linking to Livetrack and still have 20% or so left.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Maybe it’s an Apple thing. We all know they run updates to cripple your battery so they get you to buy a new one.

I’ll try it tomorrow when I go out.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Found the app very unreliable , my 810 sometimes connects some times doesn't . Could be an apple issue but every update appears to break something. Once I retire my 810, I may move away from Garmin to something else, thinking Suuntu for a combined watch for cycling and running.

tom73

Guru
Maybe it’s an Apple thing. We all know they run updates to cripple your battery so they get you to buy a new one.

I’ll try it tomorrow when I go out.

Apple tether battery life of older iPhone's so you don't need a new one. Anyway with the next IOS update the battery health app will let you turn off such protections so you can freely fry your battery when ever you like.

Top Bottom