Garmin Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Used to use that file manager hobbes but dumped it after it started bloating after successive updates and asking for ludicrous clearly not needed permissions.

Thanks for encouragement, will fiddle some more.

A Chromebook with USB C should support charging via a power pack (assuming you get a power pack beefy enough)

That's the thing! I could make it work...... but it's really not worth it.^_^
I've seen one powerbank with specs to charge laptops etc, cost a fortune and was not the most practical for charging from a dybnohub or solar panel.^_^

Ice2911

Über Member
The App ‘offline cycle routes NL’ is really useful and easy to use. The number system makes navigation easy. We just wrote a list of the numbers for where we were headed. Used the Garmin to just record distance.

Well i'm more than happy with my garmin.

See no immediate need to change it to anything.

Edit for clarification - it's the etrex20.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Another thread to show Wahoos superiority over Garmin. :okay:

Superiority?
All routing and settings can be done on my etrex 20. The colours on the screen easily identify rivers, lakes and grass areas. The AA batteries can readily be replaced once their 16 hour life has been used up.

The Wahoo needs a smartphone to both plan a route and alter settings. There's no visible difference on its mapping to identify a lake from a field. Once the battery runs out, unless you're near a socket or have an external battery to connect to it you're f***ed.

I'll stick to my much cheaper Garmin :smile:

Milzy

Guru
Superiority?
All routing and settings can be done on my etrex 20. The colours on the screen easily identify rivers, lakes and grass areas. The AA batteries can readily be replaced once their 16 hour life has been used up.

The Wahoo needs a smartphone to both plan a route and alter settings. There's no visible difference on its mapping to identify a lake from a field. Once the battery runs out, unless you're near a socket or have an external battery to connect to it you're f***ed.

I'll stick to my much cheaper Garmin :smile:
LOL, you don’t need colours. I might ride into a lake today now.

Well @HobbesOnTour not sure what's changed but my Android tab seems to now be connecting just fine and dandy to my Garmin via the same OTG cable I was using before.

Nice to know.

But in truth it won't be that useful.

OSMandplus which I have on the tab, and like, can produce routes offline and so I could in theory pass these to the Garmin.

But it produces them using way way too many points.

Editing and finessing these on or offline on the tab would be a complete and utter pain whereas I can edit things very well on the small chromebook - using gpsies for online manipulation/rapid removal of points, and a chrome add-on called caret which will edit the gpx files offline.

Still it will be useful for passing stored gpxs etc to the garmin.

I would recommend a chromebook. When my small one gets updated (supposedly due) to run android apps like the big one does I will do some experimenting with running offline OSMandplus on it.

But it produces them using way way too many points.

Not being expert in any tech other than my own (and not laying claim to expertry in that either ^_^), I assume the issue is to do with some limit of waypoints that Garmin imposes?
In that case, it's definitely advantage Wahoo in that case. I can load gpx files that span continents (sometimes I play around for fun!).

In any case, Osmand, android & OTG cable is a fantastic and reliable back-up for cycle tourists who find themselves in the middle of nowhere and need to plot a route to get somewhere else without wifi & cell connections.
Do we all need it? Not at all.

Nothing to do with any garmin limitations hobbes. I put together "point to point" routes which just mark turns. Allows me to relax and enjoy the ride/my surroundings. I have no wish to constantly peer at a coloured line on a screen. Or have some device nattering in my ear.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Im going to the Netherlands cycle touring and have purchased a Garmin Edge Explore for route finding . Will it send me along the Dutch cycle routes by default or is there a way I can set it up to do this .
Be aware that from 1 July 2019, operating an electronic device while moving in the Netherlands will be punishable by a €95 fine. Even in the Netherlands, the motorists manage to get through their tit-for-tat cycling-as-dangerous-as-motoring nonsense laws sometimes. :thumbsdown:

At least there are usually plenty of other ways to follow most routes there, with a choice of junction numbers, LF routes and cycle destination signs - far better than the UK, where there are few cycle routes, two incomplete and very indirect national networks (Sustrans and National Byway) and routes often have signs missing at key points.

Strangely, refolding paper maps or cue sheets one-handed on the move still seems to be legal, despite being much more hazardous IMO. I've seen cyclists ride straight at parked cars while messing with a map on the handlebars.

Top Bottom