Garmin Cadence Sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
Call me a tart but I'm really not fond of the look of the new Garmin Cadence Sensor. Using rubber bands to hold it onto the crank arm just looks like a bodge.

Has anybody found a tidier way? Obviously glueing it in place would look tidier (in that it wouldn't show from the outside of the crank arm) but it might make things a bit tricky when the time comes to change the battery!

D

Deleted member 26715

Not seen what you are talking about, no links or photos but normally the sensor fits to the frame by rubber bands & the magnet goes on the crank arm, you've not fitted them the rong way around have you?

sight-pin

Veteran
I broke one of the two bands that come with the sensor, kept catching my foot on it, I used the other band and wrapped a nylon tie around it on the crank just in case.

mangid

Guru
I'm guessing the OP is on about the accelerometer based sensor:

upload_2017-9-12_13-34-2.png

I just went with the bands (and a bit of tape to stop it scratching the crank).

bpsmith

Veteran
Call me a tart but I'm really not fond of the look of the new Garmin Cadence Sensor. Using rubber bands to hold it onto the crank arm just looks like a bodge.

Has anybody found a tidier way? Obviously glueing it in place would look tidier (in that it wouldn't show from the outside of the crank arm) but it might make things a bit tricky when the time comes to change the battery!
So the older version was tidier in your eyes, with sensor cable tied to crank, another one on the chainstay, along with a magnet on the spoke?

bpsmith

Veteran
I broke one of the two bands that come with the sensor, kept catching my foot on it, I used the other band and wrapped a nylon tie around it on the crank just in case.
How did you catch your foot on it, with the sensor the opposite side of the crank?

Venod

Eh up
So the older version was tidier in your eyes, with sensor cable tied to crank,

But it was neater with the small round magnet attached to the pedal end instead of the sensor fastened on with the cable, I think the hub mounted speed sensor is neater than the chainstay and spoke magnet though.

The black round thing is the magnet.

s-l1600.jpg

JasD

I find the bands to hold it in place do so very securely, and they have a minimal aesthetic detraction from the side you actually look at. Never caught my foot on them once. Also, i don't bother with the tape behind the sensor, i find ensuring everything is clean before you fit - or refit it - is sufficient to avoid scratching.

sight-pin

Veteran
How did you catch your foot on it, with the sensor the opposite side of the crank?

My foot was in contact with the band holding the sensor, not the sensor itself. I don't clip in now and my trainer kept catching the rubber band, one side of the band broke, it was still supported by the other half (it's built like a double loop) when i noticed it lucky enough.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
It's no so much for security as for the looks. Don't get me wrong, I know non of this matters in terms of making me faster or the ride more enjoyable, I just look at it and think it looks messy.

Top Bottom