Garmin Connect Down - And made me think...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

I have 14 years of GPS data, but it's all stored on my own hardware. I won't feel it if Garmin isn't able to recover, but there's going to be lots of people who wish they'd reconsidered storing their data in the cloud.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm not worried in the slightest
Garmin are far too big a company to let it go tits up. It'll be back up and running as per normal quite quickly I would imagine.

Last edited:

dodgy

I'm not worried in the slightest
Garmon are far too big a company to let it go tits up. It'll be back up and running as per normal quite quickly I would imagine.

I think that's a realistic expectation to be honest. But their IT and Infosec departments are going to go through hell the next few days if it was a hack. The only thing nagging at me is that I don't think they're a regulated company, there's no OCC or FCA or whatever coming in each year and asking for proof of their backup strategies. Still, it's a well respected company with a big presence in aviation, I would expect they will have safely protected backups.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It wouldn't bother me if I lost all my rides frankly. I hardly look back on my ride. When I finish one, I just check to see where I have been and a few figures and that's it, don't bother again after.

GetFatty

Über Member
They've issued a rather generic statement to say all their services are down. Not overly fussed about historic data but have been using my new 6 Pro watch to measure my improving fitness. I can workaround it if I have to i suppose

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

They've issued a rather generic statement to say all their services are down. Not overly fussed about historic data but have been using my new 6 Pro watch to measure my improving fitness. I can workaround it if I have to i suppose
I got a new FR945 in October and think all the fit files will still be on there (not cleared it out yet) will download them later, but will have years of other information lost...

vickster

Legendary Member
My rides are all on Strava. I always record on phone and device (now Garmin, previously Wahoo)

dodgy

The other angle is not just what you've lost, it's what the attackers have gained. Location data, health data, name and address (Garmin Support store this).

GetFatty

Über Member
The other angle is not just what you've lost, it's what the attackers have gained. Location data, health data, name and address (Garmin Support store this).
That's more my concern. I'm confident Garmin will get through this it's just at what cost to personal data

dodgy

That's more my concern. I'm confident Garmin will get through this it's just at what cost to personal data

When the EDL was hacked, they not only extracted their membership database, they put it online in an easy to search database, even searching by postcode.

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

When the EDL was hacked, they not only extracted their membership database, they put it online in an easy to search database, even searching by postcode.
Surprised the EDL could lift their knuckles to put a database together. Though if they managed that un surprised they didn't out security round it

dodgy

Surprised the EDL could lift their knuckles to put a database together. Though if they managed that un surprised they didn't out security round it

That's the funny thing, I think it was just unstructured data in an email server, but the attackers organised it into a searchable database/list.

dodgy

Right now on Twitter, most users are taking the "if my ride isn't on Garmin, did it happen" approach. All very amusing, but quite a glib way of looking at it, really.

Top Bottom