Garmin Connect Down - And made me think...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Right now on Twitter, most users are taking the "if my ride isn't on Garmin, did it happen" approach. All very amusing, but quite a glib way of looking at it, really.
Well did it? I just KOM 5 hills this evening and no way of saying otherwise... (Yes I know you can grab the fit file and upload to Strava but...)

dodgy

Well did it? I just KOM 5 hills this evening and no way of saying otherwise... (Yes I know you can grab the fit file and upload to Strava but...)

Again, judging by Twitter, it's amazing how many Garmin users have no idea whatsoever that they can upload to Strava without Garmin Connect!

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Again, judging by Twitter, it's amazing how many Garmin users have no idea whatsoever that they can upload to Strava without Garmin Connect!
Heh tbh Garmin is my golden source and that syncs to Strava. Will copy any decent files off the watch for next few days until it's back but will wait till then

DSK

I only signed upto Garmin some months ago out of boredom but, began to use Garmin Connect daily to upload my ride stats and the last 2 weeks have seen me improving vastly. I had a good ride today and gutted I can't upload it to the list and review.

Followed Garmin's twitter all morning but by lunch decided something sinister is wrong, not just maintenance so give it more time to resolution.

dodgy

Another thought, there's such a thing as Garmin Pay. Probably secure, it's tokenised after all, but another thing to think about.

Venod

Eh up
You can download all your previous history from Strava, I did it before I closed my account.
My son started riding and wanted some route ideas, so I uploaded it all again.
It zips them into blocks of 25.

It's probably important that we don't load Garmin Express at all - quite often it will load by default when you start your PC - until Garmin are confident that they've got a handle on things. If their network is compromised then it's not at all outwith the realm of possibility for attackers to be able to push malicious updates to end-user PCs.

Johnno260

Veteran
I take more of my stats from Strava just habit tbh Connect probably has more information.

I would be more concerned about personal details missing.

I assume this extends to all devices so Sat-Navs, I went from Tom-Tom to Garmin recently after my Tom-Tom was utterly useless in the Netherlands even with the latest map updates, The Garmin never missed a beat in France.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I understand people's concern re personal data but surely it's just a question of keeping a wary eye on things?

I've experienced a couple of ocassions when fraudulent or incorrect charges have appeared on my bank or credit card. I usually spot these within 24-48 hours and have been refunded without issue. Any spending on our cards above £100 I get an immediate text - literally immediate as it often arrives before I leave the shop. I've been known to call my wife if an unexpected purchase of £100+ occurrs while she's out shopping. For many banking transactions my bank requires three stage authentication.

For me it's just a question of careful personal security.

johnnyb47

Guru
Am i right in thinking that the only way i can upload my ride to Strava at the moment is to use my phone app to record it, and that my Garmin head unit is virtually redundant at the moment, because it needs to connect to Strava via the garmin connect app

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Am i right in thinking that the only way i can upload my ride to Strava at the moment is to use my phone app to record it, and that my Garmin head unit is virtually redundant at the moment, because it needs to connect to Strava via the garmin connect app
Actually you can connect your device to a computer, and copy the fit files off the device, then manually log into strava and upload them there. If you have a quick google search you can find information on how to do this. TBH I will personally wait till Garmin is back, but have disabled auto app updates on my phone just incase the hackers slip out a dodgy version of the app, but I think the chances of that are extremely slim!

Top Bottom