Garmin Connect Down - And made me think...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

This is sounding quite bad for Garmin.
https://threatpost.com/garmin-suffers-ransomware-attack/157698/

1595612776109.png

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53531178
Loaded my ride today directly to Strava. You would have thought a company so heavily involved in IT would have pretty robust defences.

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

More than likely got in due to human error or social phishing. Sometimes the easiest way. Wish they'd come out and say a little morem took 7/8 hours for anything to go online at all.

Twitter was social engineering too the other week.

Reactions: C R

dodgy

:eek::eek::eek:

And the clicky noise thing doesn't work:whistle:

Quite fitting that my auto-sig was the lure for a pretty successful phishing test as a youngish penetration tester in the late 90s :laugh:🤷‍♂️
It's benign now, no code behind it. Totally safe, honest.

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
It's been down almost 48hours now.I keep getting notifications stating"planned maintenance" between 16:00-20:00....they're not saying which day though:rolleyes::laugh:
I think it's a bit more serious than they are letting on:angry:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Dont know if its been mentioned here but its been confirmed that Garmin have been hit by a ransomware attack which has taken down their services. Ive also head that the same ransomware has taken their factories out of production.

CXRAndy

Guru
Stopped using Garmin quite a few years ago due to their clunky UI and reluctance to link with Strava.

I know they eventually got their act together, by then I'd moved to Wahoo- not looked back

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Stopped using Garmin quite a few years ago due to their clunky UI and reluctance to link with Strava.

I know they eventually got their act together, by then I'd moved to Wahoo- not looked back
I personally find Garmin stats and information better than Strava, but Strava is better for the social side. I tried a trial of Strava but didn't continue as the insights Garmin give are great. This issue not withstanding

BigMeatball

Guess it's the make it thinner and lighter...
More like the fact that everything is in the cloud so there's really no need for physical storage anymore. First it was the dvd players, then the usb sticks....they all disappear sooner or later

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

More like the fact that everything is in the cloud so there's really no need for physical storage anymore. First it was the dvd players, then the usb sticks....they all disappear sooner or later
DVD drives I get. Being able to plugin external monitors keyboards and mice (has well as your Garmin...) is very useful though a universal bus that is serial 🤣😄

CXRAndy

Guru
Im not so bothered about the minutiae of ride/exercise data. I want a streamlined, simple and reliable platform. There are better more detailed platforms like Cheetah

vickster

Legendary Member
My Wahoo hadn’t been reliably uploading to Strava on iOS for what seems like months. Although this would appear to be a poor time to switch back to Garmin :scratch:
Much nicer looking unit though 👍

Top Bottom