Garmin Connect Down - And made me think...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
If you do manually upload I guess when sync with garmin in the future (and they will), you'll end up with duplicates!
The .fit file has a unique identifier in the file itself, when you eventually sync the ride to Garmin and it gets sent to Strava their upload will check the IDs to make sure that it hasn't already been added - you can test this by uploading a .fit file and then trying to upload it again.

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

The .fit file has a unique identifier in the file itself, when you eventually sync the ride to Garmin and it gets sent to Strava their upload will check the IDs to make sure that it hasn't already been added - you can test this by uploading a .fit file and then trying to upload it again.
Had an issue recently where I wanted to combine two rides (I saved my ride at traffixc lights instead of resume). it had auto uploaded to strava, so when I combined the two it wouldn't accept it. When deleting the two from strava was cached somewhere for 30 minutes before it would accept the ONE combined ride (was my longest ride ever, so wanted it as one, as the two weren't longest!) Oh dear I love stats!

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Much more difficult to do it now given new laptops don't even come with usb ports anymore. Macs certainly don't.
Modern Macs don't come with USB ports?! WTF... Any laptop worth it's salt comes with USB, and USB3 at that!

Guess it's the make it thinner and lighter... Just saying this morning how apple are Form over Function, and if true, this kinda suggests that

GetFatty

Über Member
Modern Macs don't come with USB ports?! WTF... Any laptop worth it's salt comes with USB, and USB3 at that!

Guess it's the make it thinner and lighter... Just saying this morning how apple are Form over Function, and if true, this kinda suggests that
My Mac has 3 USB ports. Not sure it still counts as modern as it's a year old

Johnno260

Veteran
Actually you can connect your device to a computer, and copy the fit files off the device, then manually log into strava and upload them there. If you have a quick google search you can find information on how to do this. TBH I will personally wait till Garmin is back, but have disabled auto app updates on my phone just incase the hackers slip out a dodgy version of the app, but I think the chances of that are extremely slim!

Yup this is what I did this morning, was easy, copy and paste pretty much.

steverob

Guru
Moe importantly can we manually drop strava routes onto our units?
Yes, in fact I choose to do it that way anyway.

Get the route as a .TCX file and copy it to the "NewFiles" folder on the device (not the Courses folder). The next time you restart the device, it will convert that file to Garmin's format and move it to the Courses folder for you.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yes, in fact I choose to do it that way anyway.

Get the route as a .TCX file and copy it to the "NewFiles" folder on the device (not the Courses folder). The next time you restart the device, it will convert that file to Garmin's format and move it to the Courses folder for you.
Cheers, I tried gpx and tcx but was putting them in the courses folder

Last edited:

johnnyb47

Guru
I tried using my phone today to record my Strava ride.. It didn't end well.
Its made me look like i was some kind of super hero, cracking an average of 25mph of 65 miles when in reality i barely averaged 17 mph over 45 miles..
Hopefully the garmin head unit that i also recorded the ride on will upload the correct data when the app is up and running again

Top Bottom