Garmin Edge 1000 - rechargeable while in use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
If you plug a portable charger into a Garmin Edge 1000 while it's in use, e.g. you're on the road, will it stay on and continue recording your trip, following a route, etc.? In other words, stay on and continue doing what it was previously doing?

dim

I'm keen to know the answer aswell.

Chrisz

Über Member
Millions of them on eBay mate - I have one of the little lipstick sized ones for day-long rides. Cost me about a fiver!

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I use this one and put it this bag.
Yes, I was thinking about how to connect the two while riding, and that sounds like just the way to do it.
Thanks all, appreciate the replies.

For those who didn't read it, I mentioned in my France cycle tour thread that the Garmin Edge 1000 provided with the tour hire bike only lasted 9 hours on a 9 hour ride (elapsed time), and then it turned itself off just before the route guidance could tell me where my hotel in Corps was. It turned off just as I passed the "Corps" town boundary sign, so rotten timing. So if 9 hours in route guidance mode is typical, then obviously it needs help to last for a long day's ride.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I've never been comfortable with a bag on the top tube, so I attach a lipstick-style charger underneath the end of one the the drops with a couple of elastic bands. Then it might as well not be there.

Regarding the "will it work" question, whatever the theory says I think it's a good idea to go out on a short test ride and try all the on/off and in/out combinations you can think of, knowing that it doesn't matter if you lose the ride. It certainly seems that not all Garmin models behave the same; personally I wouldn't assume that all examples of the same model are guaranteed to be identical.

Chrisz

Über Member
Yes, I was thinking about how to connect the two while riding, and that sounds like just the way to do it.

For those who didn't read it, I mentioned in my France cycle tour thread that the Garmin Edge 1000 provided with the tour hire bike only lasted 9 hours on a 9 hour ride (elapsed time), and then it turned itself off just before the route guidance could tell me where my hotel in Corps was. It turned off just as I passed the "Corps" town boundary sign, so rotten timing. So if 9 hours in route guidance mode is typical, then obviously it needs help to last for a long day's ride.

I don't use turn-by-turn guidance but just have the route "always on" instead - seems to extend the battery life a bit :smile:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

9 hours on turn by turn and full backlight with a 30 second dimming sounds typical fir my 800.

I never have the nerve to let it go below 25% and tend to stop at lunch to recharge the 800 and myself.

Top Bottom