Garmin Edge 1000 repair / service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Has anyone returned their Garmin for service or repair? If so how did it go?

My Edge 1000 has a couple of problems, the power button is dodgy and so is the micro USB connector, it is a pain to make and maintain a connection to my PC.
Apart from that it functions fine. I have Emailed Garmin and await a reply but just wondering if any others have sent theirs back for repair, also if it is worth it financially.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Has anyone returned their Garmin for service or repair? If so how did it go?

My Edge 1000 has a couple of problems, the power button is dodgy and so is the micro USB connector, it is a pain to make and maintain a connection to my PC.
Apart from that it functions fine. I have Emailed Garmin and await a reply but just wondering if any others have sent theirs back for repair, also if it is worth it financially.
This may well have changed in the past few years, but Garmin didn't repair my Edge 705s (I ended up on my third...) when I had issues. USB ports broke on the first two…the only option was to get a refurbished unit. If it's not under warranty, you'll have to pay for that. They don't transfer any data from one unit to the other- that should be possible, but…I lost my NotLeJOG data because of that.

OP
OP
Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
This may well have changed in the past few years, but Garmin didn't repair my Edge 705s (I ended up on my third...) when I had issues. USB ports broke on the first two…the only option was to get a refurbished unit. If it's not under warranty, you'll have to pay for that. They don't transfer any data from one unit to the other- that should be possible, but…I lost my NotLeJOG data because of that.
I've had mine quite a few years so perhaps I'll end up with a new one.
But the question is Garmin, Hammerhead or Wahoo!!

StuAff

Unfortunately, it's a case of 'which can of worms would you like?'. I nearly became a Karoo owner- ordered the original version when they were still in development, cancelled that. Karoo 2 looks good, great screen, performance, regular updates working through issues, but one (big) thing that bothers me- battery replacement. Hammerhead themselves do not offer replacements, at least yet, and nor do they at least say 'we bought these, try them at your own risk'. Given that at least some Karoo owners have battery problems and HH's solution is 'buy a new one'…you'll understand if I am somewhat glad I didn't go through with my original purchase & disappointed they're not doing the right thing here when they've got so much else right. £350 devices are not disposable items. Garmin…you well know, it's a case of working around or putting up with issues. My eTrex 30x (second-hand) is unable to take a GPX track and do TBT, and TBT just doesn't work as well as an Edge (seriously, WTAF? It's similar hardware & software developed by the same people!!!). Wahoo I'm sure are not perfect either, though I have no experience.

My eTrex 30x (second-hand) is unable to take a GPX track and do TBT, and TBT just doesn't work as well as an Edge
Really? If I want proper TBT then I always use the eTrex. Far, far better than the Edge. But I am fussy about plotting the route on Memory Map, but there's no way I'd use the 520 for navigation. It simply isn't accurate enough.

StuAff

Really? If I want proper TBT then I always use the eTrex. Far, far better than the Edge. But I am fussy about plotting the route on Memory Map, but there's no way I'd use the 520 for navigation. It simply isn't accurate enough.
Yup, really…on the 705, it would just load the track, give you the beep & flash up the turn, there was a list of directions. On the 30x…no, none of that. TBT only works with routes, and the only way to make sure they'll be loaded properly (thanks to the point limit) is to check it through in BaseCamp first. Still won't give you nice clear instructions on screen.

Last edited:
I plot routes on Memory Map. I make sure that turns are plotted well and on the 30 it works well. I get adequate warning of up coming turns but I've learned how to plot routes to give me accurate directions. I use way points approaching and leaving turns to get accurate instructions.
Following tracks never gives accurate TBT.
On the Edge neither routes or tracks will give reliable TBT. Routes frequently give instructions late and with tracks I'm lucky to get anything.

I've developed my own system which works pretty flawlessly but I would never ever follow a downloaded track. I always convert it to a route and tweak it to suit my method.

si_c

Guru
Not had experience with a GPS unit that's out of warranty, but I've had excellent service when I had to return another Garmin product recently. I'd suggest that given the Edge 1000 is still a very good GPS unit, it's probably worth getting it repaired/replaced with a refurbished unit just for resale value alone. Alternatively you might be able to get them to upgrade you to the 1030 plus - which is a stunning piece of kit - for a small fee.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~

a brand called 'Bryton' has been making a small name for themselves as of late.

My refurbed Garmin 1000s power button started to break down a few weeks back (the predecessors button had also fallen apart) so I phoned garmin for a refurb but given it'd happen before I asked for an upgrade and they obliged so I am now an owner of a 1030 :okay:

PS don't email they are cr@p at responding and when they do its not helpful. Ring them and they respond instantly and helpfully.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A few years ago my 810 flew off its mounting, hit the tarmac and the rider behind me rode over it. The damage was substantial. Garmin sent me a refurbished unit for £85 which I thought very good service.

I moved to Wahoo three years ago. If you opt for buying new I would recommend a Wahoo. On the road mine has never missed a beat whereas my Garmins frequently crashed.

I did return my original Wahoo inside the warranty period because I felt the battery life was not as good as expected. I received a brand new replacement in five days with no questions asked.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I've returned a damaged Garmin for repair in the past (over 4 years ago). They didn't repair but replaced with a refurbished unit, or at least that's what they said, but it looked brand new to me. In fact the new unit was a significant upgrade on the original.

Out of warranty so there was a charge, which at the time it seemed very reasonable (I've forgotten how much) but I think I've read that they have since increased this significantly.
2 years ago a fixed price swap for the Garmin Edge 1000 was £195 (not sure what it is now). At the time I didn’t think it was worth it which is why I did a rough and ready repair myself.

Top Bottom