Garmin edge 200 Battery question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CaadX

Anybody ever replaced their battery. It seems simple enough except for hard wiring to the speaker.Is the speaker just for the bleep for the signal ? Is it really required. My battery life has dropped quite quickly recently, about 2 years old. Another question while we are on the subject does anybody use a battery back to charge the device while riding. Ive tried it driving the car but havnt risked it on a ride in case I loose the data and it seems to work.

U

User33236

There are two ways you can deal with the speaker wires.

• Desolder the old wire and solder on the new ones. An easy task if you have a soldering iron.
  • Cut the old wires halfway along. Cut back the outer insulation on the ends of both old and new then twist them together and add insulation tape or similar.
I have tested out my Edge 1000 with a portable charger and found it to work ok as I am planning multiple day rides with limited ability to charge in berween. I can see no reason to why the 200 shouldn't work today o but test it with something not critical to confirm.

OP
OP
C

CaadX

There are two ways you can deal with the speaker wires.

• Desolder the old wire and solder on the new ones. An easy task if you have a soldering iron.
  • Cut the old wires halfway along. Cut back the outer insulation on the ends of both old and new then twist them together and add insulation tape or similar.
I have tested out my Edge 1000 with a portable charger and found it to work ok as I am planning multiple day rides with limited ability to charge in berween. I can see no reason to why the 200 shouldn't work today o but test it with something not critical to confirm.
Ok great Thanks am I right in thinking they are just speaker wires ?

U

User33236

Yep they are just speaker wires. I've not had a 200 for a while so cannot recall what tones it emits but, and I am happy to be corrected on this, don't think you would miss out on much it you didn't reconnect it.

The most important part of reassembly is ensuring you get the display connection cable square in the plug as anything even slightly off straight can cause issues dependent on how tightly packed the connections are.

OP
OP
C

CaadX

Yep they are just speaker wires. I've not had a 200 for a while so cannot recall what tones it emits but, and I am happy to be corrected on this, don't think you would miss out on much it you didn't reconnect it.

The most important part of reassembly is ensuring you get the display connection cable square in the plug as anything even slightly off straight can cause issues dependent on how tightly packed the connections are.
Great thank you for the advice.

beeblemaster

Über Member
I've replaced the battery in my 3 year old 200, I did about 3 months back.

I desoldered and soldered the speaker wires. Easy enough to do as long as your eyesight is good and a reasonably steady hand.

The whole process was easy, following the process in the link below. I had to purchase a PH000-50 philips screwdriver for the tiny philips screws holding the board in place, so watch out for that if you haven't got the necessary tooling. I'm sure I'm getting much better performance out of this replacement battery than I ever did with the Garmin battery! The only thing I've noticed is that it seems to lose GPS signal more frequently under trees than it used to... so whether the antenna was disturbed, I'm not sure.

Keep your 200 alive, it's the best Edge out there! ;)

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=122698

Also, the 200 is fine with a portable charger for the ride. I used one for ages, until it got to the point the battery couldn't hold charge for 3 hours, then went for the replacement. Use the portable charger in the dark, so the 200 illuminates and navigates me through the unknown.... :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My garmin is getting like this but i dont have a solder iron ,not sure if its worth replacing the battery ?
So is mine (Edge 200), what is suggested?
Buy a new battery or upgrade to the next Garmin?
I don't have a soldier iron either :girl:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
So is mine (Edge 200), what is suggested?
Buy a new battery or upgrade to the next Garmin?
I don't have a soldier iron either :girl:
I bit the bullet and bought new old stock for £40 off ebay seems good so far as y old one lasted maybe 3 hours on full charge .

Top Bottom