Garmin Edge 520 - can I Pause a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBarrett

Über Member
Afternoon all.

I know there is an auto pause function on my new Edge, but until I've got a few home>work routes logged in I don't want to turn it on because it will throw all my timings out.
But I was out on a ride at the weekend and was so tired I had to have 5 minutes off the bike but didn't know how to pause my ride.
I can't find anything about how to do this in the user manual either.

Can I do this or is there a trick I can use if it isn't a built in function.

Thanks for your help
IanB

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Activity profile - auto features - autopause

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
I don't want to activate Autopause TMHNET but thank you User I will have a play with Start/Stop and see what it says.
I didn't dare try pressing anything on Saturday in case I lost the stats as I was almost home.

I ahve a Garmin Edge so assuming it's the same. Press the start/stop button. If you dont press discard or save it will just pause until you press start/stop again. You can also turn it off to save batteries if a long stop. When you switch it back on, you'll just be back at the save/discard screen. Press start/stop and you're away again.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I ahve a Garmin Edge so assuming it's the same. Press the start/stop button. If you dont press discard or save it will just pause until you press start/stop again. You can also turn it off to save batteries if a long stop. When you switch it back on, you'll just be back at the save/discard screen. Press start/stop and you're away again.

If I'm following a route I find myself pressing start a few times during the ride to make sure I'm recording it (after losing/not recording at all a ride where I thought I'd done pretty well on a few segments).

bpsmith

Veteran
Don't forget to Start again after, if you do hit the Payse button. Done it a few times and very annoying!

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
Thanks for the help with this guys. The more I find out about the functions of the Garmin the more I like it.
I started using LiveTracker last night and even Mrs B was impressed because she can see me on my way home. Its got to be a load of our partners minds if they can see us out there and still moving.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
One handy data field that I use is 'Elapsed Time', which tells you the total time since you started, including any paused periods. So when you're on a wife TT ("I want you back in two hours to go shopping/drive to my parents/mow the cat") you don't get caught out if you take a comfort break. Also, it's a more honest measure of the time you've taken to ride a course.

Archeress

Veteran
Thanks for the help with this guys. The more I find out about the functions of the Garmin the more I like it.
I started using LiveTracker last night and even Mrs B was impressed because she can see me on my way home. Its got to be a load of our partners minds if they can see us out there and still moving.
My fiancé bought me an edge 810 for my birthday. He does worry so he likes the live tracking. The only thing I wish is that I could give him permission to track me every time instead of authorising for each ride.

Hugs
Archeress x

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
As most of my cycling is commuting which at the minute is in the dark, mostly in the rain and half of the 12 miles is in the city I might as well be in Syria !

On Saturday I went out on a new bike, and gave Mrs B my route in case I had issues and needed picking up, because trying to find a landmark when you're out in the country isn't all that easy.
But I ended up meeting someone and going exactly the opposite direction but I knew if she checked she would know where I was and why I was gone so much longer than I said I would be.

Its about peace of mind.

Top Bottom